Michigan

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My husband Brendan and I live with our 4 children in Kalkaska, MI. We moved here 7 years ago from Barrington, NH. It took some time to get used to the weather and the differences in life styles, but we would never move back. We like how life is slower here, people are friendlier, and we can look out our front door and see beautiful trees. Our house was cheap, the taxes are cheap, and our neighbors are nice without being pains. The jobs may be scarce but we have what we need. We feel that this is a wonderful place to raise children.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
Yes, Michigan has been known to churn out more than it's fair share of trouble makers!:cool:
here's another one checking in!!! Howdy folks, from the flint area here :)

wYs Ranch

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi... right behind Boyd in the trouble making dept!

I'm between Jackson and Ann Arbor.

My screen name is Sillychicken at BYC, but I'm using my farm name here and on BYH. It means "Watch Your Step Ranch"! Mostly stems from having pooh around, but it can be taken other ways too. ;)

MY DH and I have been slowly trying to remove ourselves from relying on stores for our food. Partly cause we don't like whats in it, and because it costs so much! And we like to be .... prepared. If one of us losts our jobs, it would be one less thing to worry about.

Currently we can all our veggies from the garden, and we can venison (I do all the hunting, DH isn't as dedicated to it as I am) We started this spring with chickens that are dual purpose. The eggs are great and the 8 hens (2 roos), already produced about 30 chicks for me this summer. The roos and undesired hens will go to canning camp! Canning doesn't require ele to store so we're moving away from the freezer as much as we can. (Did I mention that my DH does all the canning!) This weekend we're going to get enough rabbits/supplies for a small rabbitry.

We've got meat and veggies covered..... now on to dairy!
I originally wanted Yaks, but they may be cost prohibitive at this time. So I'm looking for options of either goat or maybe a jersey cow for milk, butter and cheese making.

I am also looking into a living fence to put up around my 10 acres. I am going to use Osage Orange since it's abundant in my area. Not only is it well suited for fencing, but the wood is great for making posts, and other projects, like handles etc. Not sure about burning qualities.

The only other things I can think of we need is natural remedies education and power/heating needs.. we're still on the grid for this one! oh and a barn! LOL!

I'd love to put up a windmill. Our land lay out seems to channel the wind blowing in from the open fields. We've been talking about putting in a solar panel to at least run our well. But I'd love to be making money off the power co for once!!

Other than owning 4 Cane Corso mastiffs, and being an artist, thats me in a nut shell.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Altho I live in NC now, I still consider myself a Michigander - born & raised in Muskegon, my dad still lives there....Welcome to all the trouble-makers! :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Born and raised Michigan troll here!:frow did live down in Florida for awhile and ended up coming back home and buying the family home for a song from the mom!:D
While I would rather live here than anywhere else, the job thing and the freaking taxes are a killer!
since I live in a small, small, small tiny little 4-way stop town I am not gonna be too free with the name, but I can say that I live between Grand Rapids and Lansing and a bit north of the line!
I can get to lake Michigan within a couple hours drive and go there as often as I can afford it--so, if you see an older lady with long white and silver hair wandering around P. J. Hoffmaster state park with family in tow--it might be me!! lol

P/S I love my hobby lobby and other craft stores--at least it is only about 35 minutes to my closest one here--another local favorite is Menards and lets not forget VERNORS ginger ale!! Whoo hoo!:weee

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
--another local favorite is Menards and lets not forget VERNORS ginger ale!! Whoo hoo!:weee
Yuck - I hate Vernors!! :sick It reminds me of being sick; my mom used us make us drink it when we had an upset stomach! :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I LOVE Vernors!. It makes me sneeze :D. I'm across the border from you guys, about an hour east of Detroit, and have family in Sarnia, just across the bridge from Port Huron.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I LOVE Vernors!.
Most people do! My dad & sister still drink it; I haven't had any in 40 years, & the mere thought turns my stomach. Blechh!

justcelia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi :)

I'm new to this group. We live in Michigan, about an hour north of Detroit. I found y'all from the BYC group. We found our 2 Brahma hens there too.

We live in the city/suburbs but long for the country. We are "allowed" :somad 5 hens. We have a double lot and a garden area. We are NOT ready for WTSHTF, but are working on it. ;)

Looking forward to "meeting" y'all and learning anything I can.

Celia
2 Brahma hens and a Yorkie