Microwaves, how evil are they?

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
My microwave only gets used for rewarming coffee or doing microwave popcorn. After reading this thread it is being unplugged and put away till I find a new home for it or toss in trash.:sick

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D So far so good! :gig

I made popcorn on the stove <gasp> and I boiled water in a kettle to make coffee in a press <gasp> I made it a little weaker than I normally like, I'll get used to measuring out the coffee in no time.
My son was a little stumped when he wanted to make hot milk for coco - I heated that on the stove for him as well. I might try look for a little pot with a spout or something so I can teach him how to do it himself.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Assume the microwaves positions! LOL Has anyone seen that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, where all the guys are in the kitchen heating something in the microwave and they turn sideways and cover their 'family jewels' with both hands.

We use the microwave pretty frequently in this house, then again there are 6 of us in the house.

I've never cared for them, but not so much for safety reasons. There are certain things in the kitchen that give me the feeling of 'clutter' and the microwave is a big one. Especially those who sit on the counter and take up counterspace! Or even above the stove ones are 'less' in the way, until you're trying to cook a big meal and there are several people in the kitchen!

Never really contemplated phasing them out. I'll have to mull on that one, they sure are conveniant when cooking, softening or melting butter that someone neglected to leave out to soften and you need it 'now' to cook.

-Kim

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After I read numerous articles on the changes of protein forms (no scientist here) one particular fact freaked me out enough to test it. Supposedly a seed can't sprout with microwave water. Tested it out with one flat microwaved water and one flat tap water. Same seeds about a dozen in each. Seven days later lots of sprouts with tap water, 0 sprouts with nuke water. The only thing I use the microwave for is to heat my rice bag for cold achey joints. Have been dwelling on the fact that aroung the time I started using it my general health took a major dump. I'm so addicted to using it cause I am always cold. I always feel better in summer when the buddy goes into hibernation. Just thought I would throw that out there. Do they still sell hot water thingies?

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yup, you can still get hot water bottles (those rubber thingies) - they are a real treat if you have cold feet - take one to bed with you, and if you are just chilled, or having to work on the computer and getting chilled because you are just sitting, having one on your lap is wonderful.

arthritic kitties like them too!

haven't had a microwave for about 10 years - sometimes really astonishes guests bearing food that needs to be warmed up! I do have a toaster oven that I use for heating up smaller leftovers when I don't want to heat up the oven.

AMAZED at the seeds not sprouting in microwaved water!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
GardenWeasel -

thanks for the WOW info!! i've just taken my microwave and thrown it outside (just kidding but i am looking at it funny)

...and great to see you over here!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
GardenWeasel -

thanks for the WOW info!! i've just taken my microwave and thrown it outside (just kidding but i am looking at it funny)
...and great to see you over here!
:lol:

GW, that is nuts!!!! All these years of using a microwave! :sick

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I will have to go with the ugly orange plastic water bottles that leaked in my bed when I was a kid. Iwill keep my rice buddy until I find out if it(wipes tears away) is the cause of a mutitude of problems. Thanks guys, it really is my friend.