Morel's Country Cottage Wow! What a weekend! Fires, chemical spills

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Great pics, Morel.

I don't know how ya'll function in that cold weather. Way to extreme for me.

Hmmm . . . rabbits? Well, why not?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, for one thing you sure don't take your time going out to the coop and back! Yikes it has been cold here! I run up there as fast as I can and do what I have to do in short order before heading back to the house.
The other day I had to work out there in -20 to get the pen ready for the pigeons...had to build up some solid walls and make nesting boxes. I really froze my hands that day, but the fresh air was good for me:>)

I talked to a woman here about the frostbite on one of my roos combs and she said not to worry about it, in the spring it jut flakes off like dry skin and turns nice and red again.
I heard somewhere to cut it off, YIKES! You won't catch me doing that. That same rooster is now limping around...I brought him in and washed his feet off to see if I could find anything wrong and there's nothing to see, so I am stumped. I figure that maybe he jumped off the roost and sprained his foot or something. It looks healthy besides a little swelling. If it wasn't so darn cold out there he would probably heal up faster...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I read about cutting combs in Countryside (I think). They said it doesn't hurt them to do it.

I'm like you. I couldn't cut them either.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Punkin, to me it would be like adding insult to injury:>) So they will stay as is and I will see what happens come spring..

The pigeons are doing really well, they are pretty hardy birds, they don't even seem cold. I put some plastic up over the vent on one side though because they like to sit up there all day and that can't be good for them...I think I am going to add a 'chicken wire ceiling" in there ths summer so i can leave the vents open, and I also have to add another window. They really love sunlight. I'll have to take some pics next week after the deep freeze is over:>)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Can't wait to see pics!! Glad to hear the pigeons are doing so good!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Its cold up there. I am sitting here complaining because we are going down to 17 degrees for a couple of nights. You make me feel like that is warm weather. LOL I can not imagine having to deal with all that cold. Brrrrrrrrr.

Can't wait to see pics of your pigeons. And your chickens look great. Keep up the good work. Hope your roos foot gets better soon.

I know you and your hubby are both glad his shoulder is better. Hope all the pain goes completely.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Brrr, Morel. I thought it was cold here.

What kind of pigeons did you get? I read back, but might have missed it. My Dad has had pigeons forever. He was into homing pigeons for many years and raced them - he did quite well with that.

How's your family doing?

You stay warm - plenty of hot chocolate, tea and get those long underwear out.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Went up to the coop this morning decked out in long johns, turtle neck sweater, skidoo pants, two jackets, my bg sorel boots, and a face mask because it is really hard to breath in this cold, it burns the lungs pretty badly, on me anyway. Never could breathe when it is less than -35 or so. It was -40 last night. The birds are showing some signs of being cold this morning...all huddled up in the corner trying to stay warm together:>) I threw out some scratch though and that got them moving.

Neither of our vehicles will start this morning, and the neighbors hasn't started for about three days now so we are all stranded in our little corner of the world together...godd thing we all get along well:>)

I have roller pigeons. Apperently they are fun to watch fly they do twists and turn and rolls in the air. Can' t wait until spring to see.

Family is doing well, thanks for asking...how are you guys doing?