Morel's Country Cottage Wow! What a weekend! Fires, chemical spills

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morel - your quilts are gorgeous! I am working on a memory quilt for my Mom - I got some of the material stuff you can print pictures on. I just kinda made up my own simple squares pattern - I was making good progress till I tried to put it together and realized that I had sewed the rows without pictures together wrong :barnie had to rip them apart and now I get to start putting it back together :D

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are the flowers, etc. on the mommy and me quilt appliqued on? I've always wanted to try a quilt, but I'm so intimidated by the perfect measurements/perfect seams that I never actually get it started...

I really like the idea of 'drawing' a picture with the fabric...

off to research those quilts now :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All of the quilts are amazing as usual. :thumbsup Between you and Punkin I feel quilting might be something I am missing in my life. :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
TTs Chicks said:
Morel - your quilts are gorgeous! I am working on a memory quilt for my Mom - I got some of the material stuff you can print pictures on. I just kinda made up my own simple squares pattern - I was making good progress till I tried to put it together and realized that I had sewed the rows without pictures together wrong :barnie had to rip them apart and now I get to start putting it back together :D
Oh how frustrating huh? I have had to rip so many things apart...

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Are the flowers, etc. on the mommy and me quilt appliqued on? I've always wanted to try a quilt, but I'm so intimidated by the perfect measurements/perfect seams that I never actually get it started...

I really like the idea of 'drawing' a picture with the fabric...

off to research those quilts now :)
You are exactly where I was before I made my first picture quilt! Sooo afraid of the perfect measurements...I still am! You are the perfect candidate for doing something like this! You go girl!
Yes it is all just applique..."cut out and paste" if you know what I'm saying...try it on something small like a pillow cover to start...throw it in the wash and if it holds together you got yourself a hobby:>) I'm rooting for ya! Any questions don't be shy to ask. (not that I'm a pro...I just started quilting in October 2008)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I didn't know what a rag quilt was either. It is beautifull!!!
Now I want to go and find the quilts I started and work on them. I just can't remember which box any of them are in and they are stored at my house (which DD lives in) and burried in the garage. :th

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Now I want to go and find the quilts I started and work on them. I just can't remember which box any of them are in and they are stored at my house (which DD lives in) and burried in the garage. :th
Rag quilts are the simplest of all the quilts....I just love to make them, they go together very quickly and can be far from perfect...no straight seams required for those, and they always look good! This one was simply appliqued with two different sized layers of hearts, edges frayed the washed and dried. Go get your quilts out farmer Denise!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
FarmerDenise said:
Rag quilts are the simplest of all the quilts....I just love to make them, they go together very quickly and can be far from perfect...no straight seams required for those, and they always look good! This one was simply appliqued with two different sized layers of hearts, edges frayed the washed and dried. Go get your quilts out farmer Denise!
What type of material do you make the rag quilts out of? Does it have to be flannel, or denim (which seems to be what all the online tutorials are)?