Mouse in the House

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, I have a new allotment of bonus points every day. I give them away as I see fit. They originate with me. G. has a whole virtual jar full of them on top of the fridge.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Um... @CrealCritter I'm sure you won't miss Gerald. I give it 3 days before you are visited by Geraldine, and all of her children. They will stare at you with those beady little eyes, pleading with you to tell them where their daddy has gone. Of course, suffice it to say, Geraldine has never been at a loss for appropriate suitors, and will hardly miss Gerald. B/C, the courtship will commence immediately. They will dine on delectable little pantry morsels before retiring to the boudoir for a bit of romance.

And... You are right again - LG.

Gerald was just the beginning of our mouse problem. Last week my wife said "you" have got to do something about the mice in the house (voluntold). So I went to the farm store and got a bunch of mouse traps and two bait boxes. I put a bait box in the shop and one in the chicken coop and one trap baited with peanut butter in every room of the house.

The next morning we had trapped several mice but the other traps were clean of peanut butter. So I took a pair of pliers and bend the tab back a little that holds the trigger bar, to make them all hair triggers (made in China, fixed by American). The next morning there were several baby mice dead in the hair trigger traps. One trap even had two baby mice in it.

Its been several days now and we haven't seen, nor heard a mouse in the house. I can tell mice have been eating out of the bait boxes also. So i believe i got the mouse problem under control for now. I just need to keep up with making sure the traps are baited and set every day and the bait boxes are full and we should be OK... Fingers crossed anyways...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a mouse (or more ) in our house also. I have a Tin Cat trap since I always get my fingers with the snap traps or the dogs/house cat gets into them. I usually have good luck with it too. Nothing in the Tin Cat, but I found a new pile of dog kibble on the storage shelf - right above the tin cat. :duc:somad
Tin Cat now has dog kibble and peanut better in it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a mouse (or more ) in our house also. I have a Tin Cat trap since I always get my fingers with the snap traps or the dogs/house cat gets into them. I usually have good luck with it too. Nothing in the Tin Cat, but I found a new pile of dog kibble on the storage shelf - right above the tin cat. :duc:somad
Tin Cat now has dog kibble and peanut better in it.

Yeah... I went totally old school with my traps. All they had at the farm store we ones made in china but very similar to the victor trap pictured below. If you see the tab that holds the trigger bar. I bend that back (to make it a little straighter) just a tad and it became a hair trigger. I also put peanut butter under the bait tab not on top so the mice have to work to get the bait.
5127_35825_p1.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We used those at the cabin when I was growing up - still use those up at the cabin in fact. I can still remember hearing them snap as we sat around the fireplace and as we were in bed waiting for the sandman. Once, Dad put one right under my bed as a joke and when it snapped I jumped up and hit my head on the bunk bed above me, lol. they were double bed sized bunk beds and my little sister slept with me - she started crying. Dad never set any in the bedroom after that.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember when Dad had a mouse stealing the bait and he got serious about catching it. He made it a hair-trigger like you did, and he tried to increase the tension in the spring so it would snap harder. When it snapped, it snapped so hard it broke the piece of wood in half and the mouse got away. lol

Latest posts