moxies_ Life on the HHP Ranch....Rain!!!!!!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another freezing cold night here in Balmy Temperate South Carolina last night. The chicken water froze again, bu we wrapped their chicken tractor in tarps, and I added extra flooring to the top level. It finally warmed up over 32 by noon, to let them out into their "sports coop".

Today is a good day for chicken and home made noodles..with creamed potatoes. Some delish hot comfort foods. Making them warmed me up in this cold kitchen at least. Inside temps have been staying around 61f. I refuse to use the small heater during the daytime. For as long as possible.

Here are the noodles.

3884_dsc01824.jpg

and drying on their racks on the stove top.

3884_dsc01821.jpg

I went out to the garden to pick some greens for the chickens. Pretty much everything laid down to the hard frost last night. I picked my little collection of beets. The tops were all frozen. I haven't had garden beets for 20 years. Mmmm...looking forward to those to go with supper tonight.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm cold and that sounds nice and warm!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mmm...cooking the noodles up now...in a pot of fresh chicken broth. Potatoes ready to go. Beets done and in the fridge. It finally warmed up to 49f here.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wow, you're having a heat wave!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Deb and sunsaver-Oh ..it was so good!! Was just right for DH. He had a bad day at work, and some good ol' non spicy comfort food was just what the Dr ordered. Wealso had a piece of the pineapple upside down cake I made, for dessert. I cook something special, about 1x a month. We don't need any more then that. We are already 2 middle aged pudgy people.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just PM me you're addy and I'll box you up some 60 degree temps from northern AR! :lol: Supposed to hit 63 by Friday! :th

This just isn't right for us, actually "normal" would be more appropriate but we're not complaining. Since moving out here from middle TN two years ago, I've gotten to see more snow in those 2 years than the 20+ that I lived in TN.

In the time that we've lived here in AR, it hasn't failed (yet) that we get slammed (with winter weather) on Jan. 28 & 29th, which is doc_gonzo's and my stepdads' birthdays. We have plans to jinx it this year by buying some rock salt (for the concrete block steps) and finally a snow shovel (been raking and sweeping snow paths the last 2 winters) later today. So, it's either gonna be in the 70's for their b-days or bury us with ice and snow...we're hoping for the former! :gig

It's funny really....how things change on us through the years. I find myself here in the SS forum....more by necessity because of the downturn in the economy..and the need to make new holes in the belt...so I can tighten it. Things I had never considered doing....as I have pretty much always been SS......are now in my sights. Starting my own business, dehydrating food, raising chickens, rainwater recycle, making soaps...and on and on.
Pass me the paddle and I'll row for awhile...we're in the same canoe!

Grew up canning, gardening, being frugal and thrifty and couldn't wait until I was old enough to leave home and not have to live like "that" any longer only to hit my late 30's - mid 40's and gladly embrace the life once again and expand upon it.

Did you decide to try the dehydrator?

My mom introduced me to hers and I've only used it to dry herbs so far but I love it and can't wait to expand my experiences with it. Since we're living in a 22' camper with a dorm-sized fridge/freezer I've realized jars of dehydrated fruits/veggies/meat is ideal for us and figure that about the time I get the science down for this stuff, we'll probably be able to get our small cabin built...but it's not going to be a bad thing to keep using this storage method for it, either. ;)

Journal on dear, journal on...

I'm reading even though I don't post often! :hugs

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well hello dawn!

Yes...ab-normal is the new normal now. And I am still learning what that is here in SC. Last year this time, we had below -0 brutal temps. And no insulation in some key rooms we live in. Brrrrr.......... It didn't le up till March 1st!! :barnie

My mommas momma was from Noel MO area...actually...a little blip called Splitlog. Way up in the hills west of Noel. I don't even know what her daddy did. Probably just enough to get buy and feed the 10 kids.

I am from Kansas City MO...born and raised. A whole different life. Gramma stayed with us alot, as she lived in the city by then too. She did baking etc...but I don't remember her doing canning, or making soap or such. She was more into Prevention Magazine and juicing. And, our city lots were way to small for anything but a token garden.

Now, back to the present. Dehydrator. DH and I are batting around diff ideas for one to make. Right now, not very high up on the priority list. Between him working full time, and helping out his folks...and trying to survive without any health insurance.....we take things slow for now. he still has to build my counter tops and base cabinets for my 2 free standing cabinets in my storefront business. I am keeping busy with the things I need to do to get legal with that. We do keep quite busy...and try to allow for some time to rest. Rest is about all we can do.....as he will work himself to exhaustion at times. I do the same. We are both Type A personalities.

We have lists ...of priority lists. :gig Then, always the rotating crisis list.

We have to do things on the property

Insulate and repair the house

Add bathrooms...somehow

Finish moving DH stuff and storage shed the 10 miles over to here.

Move his other truck..non working

Move his generator..but make a pad to set it on first

Fell 2 more trees here

He has his moms "to-do" list

And...he commutes 35 miles one way to work daily. So, up at 4am daily.

My being laid off/unemployed does not help with the finances. I try to reduce/reuse/recycle...as much as possible. Making my own laundry soap now, using soap nuts in the summer for laundry, so I can reuse the laundry wash water to hose out the chicken coop. It works great..btw. And, as the water tables are getting low, our well went low 2x since we bought the place in 2010. Cannot have that. We have to have potable water. It is imperative to maintain what good health we do have. So, I do rain barrels for the garden and the laundry. Eventually, will figure out how to hook them up to the toilets for flushing. It's a shame to waste good drinking water to flush a toilet.

So, yeah...I am busy. We are busy. The proverbial hamster wheel. But, never a dull moment!! :th

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Find a gallon jug. Fill it w/water and pour rapidly in the toilet. The toilet should flush. For that matter, you can even use a bucket.