My chickens.....my friends??? Pics of my meat friends on pg. 13

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will try to get a good pic of her. I did take one, but it turned out so dark you couldn't really see what color she was. I'm working with a cellphone camera that is very picky, sometimes it takes great ones, others not so much.

I was very pleased with the variety of colors I got, they were sold as Americana/Auracana, but they aren't true-bred. I understand that is what folks call EEs. Anyways, I have a few solid white ones, a speckled light gray & white, a few reddish, several orangy & white, a few blueish gray & 2 that are orange & blueish gray. One has speckles like an owl, the other has tipped feathers.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They all sound beautiful!!! That is one thing about EEs, they have such a wide range of lovely colors and patterns.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Put the meaty chicks and mama in the big coop tonight and hope to see her take them out on the grass tomorrow. They looked so comical trying to fit under her now...they are huge! Only a few of them can fit under there now and they try to climb on top...it's a constant shuffle of fat chicks!

They have grown faster than their skin, which looks very weird...they have yellow fluff on torso, head and butt and are trying to feather out in other places but they are big enough to be much more feathered out. I just think their feathers can't keep up with the growth....they look funny and very ugly! :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haha, you have moshing chickens, Bee! They're growing faster than their skins!? Eeeewwww! That does sound gross :p

Here's my pretty girl :fl
0425101411-01.jpg

There are some more pics on my journal of the other colors.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2425&p=24

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobie, that is one BEAUTIFUL bird! if it's a boy, i'll take him off your hands! :D not that i need to add another roo after i finally got rid of the extra i had... but those are definitely some genes i wouldn't mind having in my flock.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I Looove EE's!! They come in such beautiful colors and still lay colored eggs. I have some that resemble Welsummers, a beautiful gray one, some gold and white and some multicolored. And they have the cutest fluffy faces. And they are reliable layers and SET their eggs. They are my favorite type of chicken. Some of mine are muffed and tufted(at least it looks like tufts-back sweeping feathers just above the muffs). And they have the best personalities. I could go on all day. Did I mention I like EE's?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks you two :D BBrooks, any males that don't make the cut for flock rooster will go to freezer camp, but I'd be willing to trade/sell instead of culling. They are just starting to redden up on their combs, so it will be a few more weeks before I can tell what they are.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
They come in such beautiful colors and still lay colored eggs.
my EE hens just aren't all that pretty. they are kinda drab. they are sweet girls and good layers, but they aren't going to win any beauty contests.

the boys i out of the same order, however, were a completely different story. all 3 were GORGEOUS! i had the hardest time picking which one to keep. one of the losers was so pretty that i just couldn't kill him- i sold him for $10 (at 6 months old) and felt like i'd won. he was a good looking boy.

the one i kept: (i can't figure out what the mix is here... ideas?)
42382_dscf6124.jpg

the one i sold: look at that tail!!!
50946_100_1610.jpg