My chickens.....my friends??? Pics of my meat friends on pg. 13

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The one you kept looks identical to one I have now. I hatched him in the 'bator last fall and he was the only roo out of the bunch. I love the second pic. I can't blame you for not wanting to kill him.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
The one you kept looks identical to one I have now. I hatched him in the 'bator last fall
do you know what yours is? mine came from Ideal so all I know is that he's an EE. i've tried figuring out his pedigree a million different ways, but nothing makes sense. he's just so pretty that i'd like to get more like him.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those are all beautiful birds!! :drool Love that grey coloring...one of my fave colors in chickens.

Funny about iridescent feathering...I have a few Aussies and one has a green sheen on the black, another has purple and another has blue. You would think they would all have the same coloring.

Of all my birds, I love my Aussies the best because they are hardy, beautiful, good layers and they sing so pretty. They are very mild mannered and inquisitive. They seem to stay the prettiest during moult and do not have that rooster pecked look to their heads that some of the flock have. Pretty girls! :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My meat chick project is rolling right along and they are now ranging in the orchard like the rest of the flock. They get fed once a day now with the rest of the girls and they wait patiently for their turn at the trough. They don't appear to me to be excessively piggy in nature at all.

In this pic they have been on my place for 20 days.

6459_meat_chicks_jons_prom_023.jpg

6459_meat_chicks_jons_prom_024.jpg

I'll also throw in a gratuitous pic of the beauty of having one's own laying flock....

6459_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_059.jpg

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How cute!!! I can see rotisserie, fried and chicken and dunplings!!!!

BB-my roo's momma was a feed store chick and his daddy was a Cackle chick that I got from my FIL in Louisiana. So that makes him 100% EE!! I do however think there is some aracauna (sp?) in him because my hens have tufts and muffs that were hatched out of the same two and are his full sisters. He doesn't have the tufts though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The meaty project is moving right along. I've had a few injuries sustained at the feeding station, most likely due to overcrowding, so I'm adding another feeding trough.

Two of my chicks have been ripped and gouged and I think it was done by my roo, but not from an attack. I think he stepped on them in a feeding frenzy...his spurs are very long and sharp. I trimmed them and his toenails.

The chicks seem very much the same as the others and didn't seem a bit slowed down by their injuries. We caught the dog lying in the grass with all the chicks snuggled up to him and one of the injured ones between his paws...he was licking it! :p

6459_beehive_and_meaties_030.jpg

Here are the little pigs, bottoms up on my feeder.

6459_beehive_and_meaties_034.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Looking DELICIOUS ... :hide I mean looking good! :gig

Don't you just love watching all that meat on the hoof roaming around.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I LOVE that picture of the eggs in the basket...it just looks so naturally homey! You meaties are looking really good! I have never done meaties...alway thought they were ugly and dirty critters...yours don't look that way at all! Great job Bee!