My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why do you have a battery operated fan??? You should have a good size fan in there and it should run all the time....

You should come see my fan....it blows across all 26 feet....LOL

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You must be picturing a Walmart desktop 2 AA battery fan when I say battery operated.

This is a good size fan that we use at outdoor craft shows in the dead of summer. Its lithium battery will run it for over 2 days, and I can set it so low that it is like a gentle breeze across the top of the soil. The battery recharges in 45 minutes, and I have two of them, so it's easy enough. Any of our electric fans are too strong on low for the little seedlings I have coming up in between the established plants.

dcc6bff0-2a73-458a-959d-910f76377608_1000.jpg

Last edited:

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boy did I need that "big laugh" this morning.....You are correct. I never saw nor did not even know that what you have existed.. This is what I was thinking of.

lil fan.jpg

This is my bar fan just for the bartender. LOL Thanks for the uplift this morning...

So greenhouse fans are essential. They stop the glass or plastic from getting too much moisture and that keeps buggers away...all spaces should have some air movement...especially at night and early morning.

Small plants can easily get "damp off" if they are watered in the evening. Actually, the first thing I learned was never water at night even if you have a good fan. Plants sort of perspire by early morning and that moisture needs to, "be got", off the plant.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL...that's what I figured you were picturing. I never knew I could get a battery operated fan like the ones we use at Summer craft shows until I really started searching. They'll not cheap, but they do the job.

At first I wasn't keeping the fan on at night, but since I started that, I've noticed less mold on the soil in the morning. I am also waiting for the bottom self-watering reservoir to dry up. The soil just does such a good job of wicking the water all the way to the surface. Once that stops, I'll just water from the top and just around the plants in the morning as needed. (BTW...as I write this...sitting here eating a turkey salad sandwich with lettuce from the indoor kitchen garden. Delicious!)

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you know I pass by your house about every few days? I shop at Giant for "Alice food" my tort. Nice piece of property.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For some reason I thought you lived in Pike County. Blow the horn sometime or stop if you see me out and about.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really? Whereabouts? I just checked out your Facebook page. Don't tell me that is your greenhouse?!?!?!?! Looks great!

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You would go to the white church and turn left. go up mile..lol

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmmm...white Church at NE Belmont & Custard or the one at Neola & Neola Church Rd?