My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks @Mini Horses. I like that "greenhouse within a greenhouse" idea. The brick approach is what I am trying to accomplish with the slate...on a larger scale, but for now it might be more beneficial to think micro rather than macro and build a secondary "protection" and heat source like you mention. I think if I could get sometime to paint and fill the 5 gallon buckets, they would make a tremendous difference.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MoonShadows
standing_garden_for_indoor_gardening__53345-1417570682-1280-1280-jpg.1784

I had something similar a few years ago but was a recycled project. I started with a large metal shop shelf. I attached a shop fluorescent light with chains that could be adjust to height over the plants. It could have easily been duct taped to the under the shelf. The tubs of soil were under the light. I had a timer to turn the light on and off. If the shelf was tall enough you could use a couple lights. It worked good for seedlings and starting my tomatoes and peppers. In the winter I kept a calamondin orange tree under it. I kept it in the living room but it would work anywhere that wasn't too cold. I don't remember if I had wheels or not but it would be easy enough to rig something up. I been thinking about doing another shelf up because my new place doesn't have any sunny windows to speak of.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Kitchen Garden 365 arrived yesterday, and I put it together today. Easy to put together and sturdy. I made a container soil of 1/2 compost soil mixed with peat moss, perlite and some seedling starter I had. Then, I took some of the spinach and lettuce plants I had started in the greenhouse and transplanted them. I'm waiting on some herb seeds and a couple of other varieties of lettuce and spinach. I'll plant them in between.

kitchen-garden01.jpg

kitchen-garden02.jpg

kitchen-garden03.jpg

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You'll be eating fresh salads anyday now.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Update: It's been 2 weeks since I put the plants in this container garden. They are thriving, and I am going to start cutting leaves for fresh salads.

The unit is self watering with a 3 gallon reservoir on the bottom. When I first put the plants in, they said to wet all the soil well, so the "wicking" process starts from the reservoir; however, since the top of the soil was wet for a few days, I noticed that fluffy white mold started growing on the soil...probably because I didn't use sterilized potting soil but a mixture that included a very generous amount of our compost. I let the top dry out and the mold died and just about disappeared. The plant roots are long enough to take advantage of the bottom watering.

Now, the other day I decided to add a couple other varieties of spinach and lettuce along with some basil and dill. Since I planted seeds, I have to keep the top moist. Well, the white mold is back on the surface, and I am afraid of the new seedlings suffering from damping off disease when they start to grow....not to mention breathing in mold spores is not healthy either. And, even if they survive, I will need to water them from the top until they establish longer roots and can take advantage of the water wicking up into the soil.

I did some reading and learned that house plants are prone to white mold on the soil surface because of lack of good air circulation and/or not using a sterilized potting soil. I've always used sterilized potting soil for regular house plants and never remember getting soil mold, but wanted to use our black gold compost for these plants. From what I found, most articles suggest he most natural "remedy" is to use powered cinnamon sprinkled on the soil or a mixture of steeped cinnamon or cinnamon oil and water in a sprayer. They say that will keep the mold in check and not hurt the plants. Has anyone here ever tried this with house plants...which can be prone to mold on the top of the soil?

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I never heard of that, but I am very curious to hear if it works!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I applied a very light coating of the cinnamon powder after lunch this afternoon, and I would say about 95% of the white mold is already gone! Now, to see how the cinnamon powder affects the plants...if it does so at all.

BTW...I read today on a few internet sites that you can use cinnamon powder in place of root hormone....some even say it works better than root hormone.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MoonShadows that is great to know. It seems that is what always does my seedlings in. WooHoo thanks for your digging for answers.

Latest posts