My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
UPDATE:

My lettuce and spinach continue to grow...but not as lush and fast as I would like. Also, the new seeds I planted came up but are leggy and growing very slowly. Now, that I am not bottom watering, and using a slight breeze across the soil surface, the mold is minimal, but still present.

So...I've made a few modifications...

1. The light hood of the unit is stationary, about 18" above the plants. I wanted it closer, so I drilled out the four rivets holding it to the top bar, attached 4 lengths of chain in the light hood through the holes where the rivets were and installed hooks in the four holes in the top bar where the rivets were attached. Now, I can adjust the light hood, and I have it much closer to the plants.

2. I was reading that while you can grow plants indoors with T5 florescent bulbs, Led Full Spectrum lights are becoming more and more popular as home grow lights because they cover the full spectrum of sun light, some of which the T5's lack. They are blue and red. Blue light is good for photosynthesis; and helps to induce Chlorophyll and Carotenoid, which are necessary for healthy leaves; Red light is best for blooming and fruits. They also help plants absorb more nutrients than T5's, especially some trace elements. So I bought an inexpensive kit with 4 - 2 strip Led's. They give off a very "low light" and make the plants look purple! With the T5's on, you don't even see the purple affect.

51CAiZO8DsL.jpg

For the lingering mold issue, I have decided that I will harvest what I have now, and remove my composted soil. I bought a couple of bags of Black Gold Seed Starting Soil. I think that will eliminate or at least reduce further any white fluffy white mold on the soil surface which can also rob the plants of nutrients and is definitely affecting the new seedlings.

BGSM906D.jpg

So, we'll see how these changes affect my experiment, and report back at a later date.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad things are doing better...It's hard to learn the balance....I would love to stop over to see what you are doing...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's too cold in my house to even think about growing anything right now. DD gave me some tiny little aloe vera plants since all mine died when I had my ankle surgery and couldn't get into my back room. Everyone I asked to check on the plants and make sure they were watered, which they all claimed to have done. DH, DS, sister, DD apparently decided another day wouldn't hurt (every day). Anyway all my plants were dried up stemmy things by time I could make my way down the step into the back room.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icertuche, I know about ankles. That is the poor body part that we use with more psi and force . We can get away with not using an arm or ear or toe but that ankle is used the most and with all the weight. I have been laid up for 6 months and just now I am getting SOME relief.

Hope you are recovering well....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad things are doing better...It's hard to learn the balance....I would love to stop over to see what you are doing...

Sure! I am probably going to pick up the potting soil today from Steele's (I bought it online with free shipping to the store), and replace the present soil tomorrow. So there won't be much to see right now. When the new plants start coming up and are growing, you'll have to come by. If the harvest is good enough, I'll send you home with some fresh lettuce and spinach!

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just want to see your set up....

I ran my greenhouse for 30 years without any problems and this year we put a pellet stove in along with our normal furnace. Not that is was a problem but we have had some tweaking to do with it. Our problem was to get the heat circulating correctly. I think we are on track now...

It's nice to see what others are doing with the greenhouse. You can get good ideas sometimes..

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I closed my greenhouse down for the winter. The small heater I had couldn't keep it warm enough at night. I'm going to come up with another plan for next year.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh When did you decide that?? I thought you were going to keep it going all winter.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I realized the small heater was not going to be enough to keep it warm enough at night. I also need to work on some thermal mass and finish the slate floor

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now I am confused. These plants are in your house? Or were they in the greenhouse? I only keep exotic plants in the greenhouse these days...

Latest posts