My sewing thread : P

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Not so much for bragging, especially since I haven't sewn anything but a button on my coat for over a year. Mostly for bouncing ideas around and gathering inspiration from others.
It started the other day when a friend loaned me her copy of Apron*ology. Lots of pretty pictures of aprons made from thrift store finds, fat quarters, dish towels etc. I'm totally enthralled with the idea of making some! Being tall and heavy I don't do well with the premade retro style ruffly femine aprons usually. Especially if they have a bib top. The waist ends up just under and the bottom ends somewhere around my crotch. Not a pretty look! I need to drag out the machine and start making my own, that fit ME!
Then I started prowling around the internet looking for more ideas, anything. I found this "pattern" on a blog: http://www.sewastraightline.com/2010/03/domesticated-skirt.html
I think I found what I'm going to live in all summer!!
The same friend had also loaned me SewWhat Skirts: http://www.amazon.com/Sew-What-Skir...6259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297887293&sr=8-1 There are some cute ideas in that one too.
Crud, I think I'm going to have to shave my legs this spring! :lol:

I may even try wrap pants a la Abi some day!
Of course, I still need to drag out the machine.....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'll have to post a tutorial on how to make basic patterns at some point.

Really, just sit down with paper napkins or paper towels, folded in fourths, tear out bits, open it, and see what happens. Once you figure out where to tear to get a neckline, sleeves, etc, you are halfway there. *laughing*

That's how I learned. Seriously.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
abifae said:
I'll have to post a tutorial on how to make basic patterns at some point.

Really, just sit down with paper napkins or paper towels, folded in fourths, tear out bits, open it, and see what happens. Once you figure out where to tear to get a neckline, sleeves, etc, you are halfway there. *laughing*

That's how I learned. Seriously.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Just play! Once DH gets home I'm outta here. I'm heading for the Salvation Army. With a new eye. I don't always find stuff I can wear. My size doesn't always equal stylish there..... but now I'm looking with a fresh eye!
Abi, you are a big part of my inspiration! Share anything you want!!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*beams*

HOORAH!

I'm using a pattern to make my dress for Saturday because I wanna do a halter and I don't have time to figure out how LOL!! Also, I've never done a zipper. Again, want to do it the first time with a pattern :p

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Zippers can be intimidating but they are easy once you get the hang. Stick glue, like the school paper stuff works great on holding the zipper in place till you sew instead of pins.

I love sewing and with clothing prices going up 20% I think I will make more for myself and not everyone else. ;)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Damummis said:
Stick glue, like the school paper stuff works great on holding the zipper in place till you sew instead of pins.
How does that do on silk and linen? Does it bleed through finer fabrics??

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Oh, I love the "domesticated skirt"! Too bad I can't even sew a button on....
Start with finishing edges on something like a cloth napkin. Buy a fat quarter package (fabric stores sell sets of already cut fabric), and just practice straight seams to finish the edges... You can have placemats or cloth napkins or something else really basic. It won't waste the fabric and it's great practice :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm confused about the domesticated skirt. :/ i know, it doesn't take much. Is it basicall like two aprons? One tied around the back and one tied around the front?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I'm confused about the domesticated skirt. :/ i know, it doesn't take much. Is it basicall like two aprons? One tied around the back and one tied around the front?
It's two not quite rectangular pieces of fabric (wider at the bottom) sewn together to make a reversible fabric. Bias tape is added for the ties. Then you put it across your front, around your backside and tie in the front. So basically a really wide apron that wraps just about twice around you. Hope that helps! It looks like her directions are pretty thorough. Nope wait I'm wrong. I just thought that through in my head and it won't work. I'll have to read more thoroughly. Hmmmmm......

Abi, I have done a few zippers. I have no doubt you'll figure it out! The glue is a great idea! Never thought of that. :D So I am back from the SA. I have a white kitchen trash bag full of stuff. I got two wool sweaters and a long swingy skirt to wear. The skirt might need some help. It's a little tight throught the waist but it reaches my ankles so there's a lot to work with. And I got a square white pillow case with some embellishment on the front and ruffles around the edges. Cut the front off and I've got a preruffled bib for an apron. I got a turquoise and green lined cotton skirt that wouldn't fit a Barbie that I can use for the bottom of an apron. A man's faded lime green striped oxford shirt, also for the bottom of an apron, and some sort of piece of fabric, not sure what it used to be, that has mini blue and yellow ball fringe that, gathered, will make a nice layer over that for the bottom of the apron. Last, a cotton lace tank that I can take apart and have 2 bibs for aprons. It was family day. Everything was 50% off. I paid $120.04 for the lot of it. :weee Wow, major typo there. That would be $12.04 not $120.04. I'm not that nuts!!!