My sewing thread : P

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hmmmm, not sure. All I've ever seen are poly linings and I'm with you on that!
I really wish we had more than JoAnne's to choose from here. I need to touch fabric and see colors in person and frankly their selection leaves me cold sometimes.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I think I'll not line it, but i'll do a sturdy facing around the upper hem for stability. Of the same fabric. Like when you make a proper cuff or collar :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Absolutely!! Basically, instead of a full lining, I'll just be doing a wider "bias tape" sort of thing around the upper part :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Having a lining can sometimes make for a better fit, it helps the item hold it's shape better. Another reason to use lining is when the fabric is see-through. It depends on the fabric you use.

I was very disappointed when I went to JoAnn's also. Not the fabric store as I rememeber it. They took over the fabric store that used to be there years ago. I haven't done much fabric shopping in recent years. JoAnn's doesn't have the deals nor all the "parts" that the old store used to have. I also need to touch and see the fabric. I don't like online shopping for stuff like this.
I couldn't even find 1/2 the stuff I was looking for at JoAnn's :/

I want the old fabric store back :(
I hate chains :barnie They are so limiting.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hmmmm!! So maybe I want to line the bodice part? I have enough fabric, by about 3 yards LOL.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
If you want it to look super, you may just want to line the bodice. It does make a difference in the look ;) and some (though probably not you, Abi) might be able to go braless, when you line the blouse part ;)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
The main thing is a lining fabric...

Anything poly makes me feel sick. And I don't have anything that would work. This needs done by Saturday afternoon, and the store is 1.5 mile walk away. And I really have NO idea what to use for lining if I cannot buy lining fabric.

Any ideas? It would have to be a really fine cotton. I can't do something like rayon because it shrinks a different amount than cotton so even a prewash might not get all the shrink out.

Help help! LOL. I have til 3 pm or til I take GHE >.> Which I really REALLY shouldn't do. Going home from work early to sew something pretty ... "I can't eat cuz I'm broke, but I LOOK fabulous!" A long weekend before school starts is just SO appealing...

*goes to dig through her many many totes of fabric... surely SOMETHING will work...*

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:caf Let's see if it's 4:30 here, it's what, 2:30 there? We need an update!!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I found an old silk skirt I outgrew by about 8 inches LOL. So it is the lining. Do I win a prize???

Cutting the lining now and should have pics by tonight.

*rushes*

ETA: stayed at work the WHOLE shift ;) so just got off

Latest posts