My sewing thread : P

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Whew! The tricky part for me is that they leave instructions. *laughing*

When I toss the instructions and just cut my pieces and put them together, I do better >.>

Like, I think it is easier to sew the crotch before the legs. Mostly because you cut two fronts out together. Well, while they are together still, attach them!!! :D

As soon as I separate things out and have to put them back together, I start to lose it. *rolls eyes*

But I do iron a lot lol

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
abifae said:
Damummis said:
Stick glue, like the school paper stuff works great on holding the zipper in place till you sew instead of pins.
How does that do on silk and linen? Does it bleed through finer fabrics??
Don't know, I wouldn't risk it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Damummis said:
Don't know, I wouldn't risk it.
That's what I was thinking too. Drat. I sew about half silk/linen and about half cotton. Some rayon thrown in here and there.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love the "domesticated skirt" pattern!! Gonna have to hit the fabric stores and make one for myself. I like the contrasting fabric look...give it more character than a plain single pattern skirt!

Right after my youngest was born in 2003, I spent several weeks making simple A-line skirts with drawstring waists to wear. With 3 kids all under the age of 5 it was nice to just grab something easy to throw on!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
I love the "domesticated skirt" pattern!! Gonna have to hit the fabric stores and make one for myself. I like the contrasting fabric look...give it more character than a plain single pattern skirt!

Right after my youngest was born in 2003, I spent several weeks making simple A-line skirts with drawstring waists to wear. With 3 kids all under the age of 5 it was nice to just grab something easy to throw on!!
That's what I love about them for summer too. Grab and go!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love the domesticated skirt too. and sooo simple.

Ironing while sewing really helps a lot and it makes everything look a lot neater.

When I do zippers I find it really helps to hand baste them on, before using the sewing machine. Especially when you want it to look really nice. I would practise putting a zipper on something else, before trying it on something special. But they really are not that hard.

Baste the fabric together as if you were continuing the seam. Iron the seam open. Lay your zipper on the zeam, centering it. Note that the zipper has extra length on each end, make sure the top is in the right position for the item you are sewing. Pin it, then hand baste it. Attach your zipperfoot and just sew down the left side to about 1/2 inch or so from the end of the zipper, with the needle in the fabric turn at right angle, sew across the bottom, turn 90 degrees again, with the needle in the fabric (it holds the fabric in place), sew up the other side. You want to sew as close to the zipper as possible, usually about 1/4". Take out your basting stitches and voila! your zipper is done!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks Denise! Basting should work as well as the glue, huh? Just takes a tiny bit longer, but the results will be worth it.
I'm so glad I started this thread because I'm getting really inspired to think out of the box and try more complicated things. Heck if DH could upholster the seats of '57 Buick never having used a sewing machine before I can make a stinkin' skirt, right!? :gig

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm replacing the snaps (it was all I had in the house) with a zipper on my red silk dress. And I want it more fitted through the bodice.

:)

I am really good... AND FAST... and hand sewing. Cross stitch teaches you even stitch size.

So I get one zipper by pattern and then turn around and put it in something else I patterned. *laughing*

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My mom sewed most of our clothes, when we were kids. I learned a lot by watching her and asking a bazillion questions. When I was five I made my first doll skirt.
Through the years I had a few classes here and there.

The biggest thing I learned was to take the time to baste and iron your project and it will actually come out easier and better.
I don't always do that. But when I am making something special to wear, I do take all the time and steps to make sure it comes out nice.

If you are just starting out, it also helps to take the time to iron your seams and to hand baste. It is so much easier to take out a hand basted seam, than a machine stitched one. And it is easier to machine stitch over hand basting. Your end result will be much nicer. With time and practise, you learn, when you can get away with not doing all the steps. But if your first projects don't turn out nice, you are much less likely to try another.
Another thing I often do, is to set my machine on the biggest stitch possible. They are easier to take out.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
When do you need to do a lining? I've always removed linings if I bought something with one. I hate them. I'm making a halter top dress and it calls for a lining. Can I skip it? Or will it hang horribly?

Can I do two layers of the cotton I'm using? I don't know what it means by "lining fabric" but all the ones at the store are poly and I'm not touching it LOL.