Natural Egg Hatching

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ooooooh I love chick photos! I've been raising chicks exclusively with broodies for a number of years now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I usually hang out over at back yard chickens but thought I would drop back in here and join the fun.
Well I am glad you came on over, I too hang out in my coop [ Grandmas Coop ] on BYC,
I have enjoyed the broody hen season, I have had 3 broodies this season.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mr. Cornelius
3546892-e2364539fcc17f4ef02887b4d76ab92d.jpg

Still nothing-- so this one I am waiting on is egg #3 the egg was laid on the 27th- given to the broody hen on the 27th--so, today is day 22
now egg #1 hatched at 19 days[7-16], it was sat on, on the 27th
Egg #2 was laid on the 29th and hatched at 19 days[7-18]

The weather has been hot and hot in the coop, this is why I think they, #1 &#2,
hatched early

tomorrow is the last day, I dont think you are to let them go past day 24

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GOOD Morning Cooper"s
Well, I was out in the coop at 5am, and made an air hole at the top of the egg #3---
It was definitely not a go 🤢 it was a rotten unfurtlized egg--

So I got the coop all cleaned up, moved the broody cage from under the north end of the roost because the 4 week old chicks have been roosting all week, on their own the 2 decided they wanted up there. Mamma #1 stands with them under her wing on the roost, but with the broody cage under them with a board on top no one was going to fall.

Mamma #2 still has her nest under the nesting box, her 3 chicks are 3 weeks old

I keep the adult chickens out of the coop in the morning so the chicks can eat without being run off,
image_16907521.JPG
image_16904961.JPG

then when all the chicks have had their fill I raise the feeder

image_67200769.JPG
image_67183361.JPG Not going to work, Put the board back
image_67190017.JPG

image_67505153.JPG peeking out from under mamma #3

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

@Nifty could we had the jumping baby chick like the BYC's does????

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And this is the end of Grandmas natural hatching season for 2023,,,
P.S.
Mamma #2 has decided she wan to s to sleep on the roost, 2 of the chicks are ok with it but her smallest I don’t think is , they are 3 weeks old.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, there are many things, I discovered that are not in the Storys Raising Chickens book or on the Backyard Poultry web site. Many thing I found on BYC.
a few things, that I worked out was
Some broody hens can get along with other broody hens [ yes one is always the boss] and some broody hens dont.
How to intergrade the broody hen back into the flock without blood shed.

My Broody #1 & 2 worked their difference out and work together, BUT #3 is what is called ferocious-- maybe she will calm down a bit as her chicks get into week #2 but she most defiantly does not like 1 &2's chicks,

So this is a whole N'other ball of wax to deal with in a coop/run enclosed area-- maybe when flocks free range its different, I dont know, but this is what I got and there wont be blood shed. I do let Mr. Rooster do his job at supervising the hens and dealing with fights, thats his job and he is good at it. Its how the order of things works, not fun to watch but as long as there in no blood , says " @R2elk , leave them be.

They have lots of available feeders and waterers, a huge run, its not cramped, they have a 24ft roost, so they are set up for success.
image_67234817.JPG image_67210497.JPG

#3's 2 babies will stay in the brooder cage another week then a little bit at a time.
The Rooster & flock has been very good with with the chicks
image_67503105.JPG

and I know mamma #1 &2 will be fine with the 2 new ones its the 3 mammas getting along that will be tricky.
#3 is a big girl and can hold her own with the flock, they will get out of her way. I just dont want #3 going after the other chicks-- that will be my job to watch for, Rooster will watch the hens I will watch the chicks :cool: lolol but not today,

New chicks need another week, now, Mamma#3 I will get er out to roll in the dirt and poop and work it out with the rest of the flock for a spell and then back to the brooder she goes.

Everyone can see everyone, so they aren't surprised by the new 2 chicks and mamma #3

image_67193345 (1).JPG