Natural Egg Hatching

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The cats here are terrified of the broody hens, and the chickens in general. There is a tiny bantam hen who hangs out here from the neighbors. She is an absolute terror and steals the cats food from inside the kitchen, she just bosses them right out of the room. She's about the size of a pigeon.

I enjoyed following along with your story here @Grandmas Porch
I am about a month away from chick season starting here, happy to do a follow-along thread in anyone is interested?
I've already had a pullet go broody but I said no thank you missy, it's the middle of winter! I try to hatch as much as I can realistically manage in September and October, finishing up in November. Summer here is very very humid and the hatch rates plummet. I am in New Zealand, top of the South Island.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The cats here are terrified of the broody hens, and the chickens in general. There is a tiny bantam hen who hangs out here from the neighbors. She is an absolute terror and steals the cats food from inside the kitchen, she just bosses them right out of the room. She's about the size of a pigeon.

I enjoyed following along with your story here @Grandmas Porch
I am about a month away from chick season starting here, happy to do a follow-along thread in anyone is interested?
I've already had a pullet go broody but I said no thank you missy, it's the middle of winter! I try to hatch as much as I can realistically manage in September and October, finishing up in November. Summer here is very very humid and the hatch rates plummet. I am in New Zealand, top of the South Island.
Yes, pleas shear you hatching,
I think I will cook up 3 eggs, one for each of my mother hens, other than that the only this left is to put her out of the coop and keep the door shut.
man, its always something

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well the nesting box was a success today,
No fights
2FDDD28F-0378-4224-BF64-E4C1579E615B.jpeg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well that didnt work, none of the 3 hens would eat the cooked egg :barnie :th

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did a BYC search--it seams a mother hen can ween her chicks as early as 2 to 3 week, but typical is 4 weeks - there is a lot of chirping/ squealing, pecking, and the mother often will run them off; ignores them at bed time---

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine normally go to about 6 wks. Then they put up with them if they follow her but, most often they do roost by her at night. Depends on the hen. Some of mine run away from them during the day....ok at night. Those youngins are usually looking for some trouble to get into by then anyway😁. Ya know teenagers!

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My hens vary how long they keep their chicks. It seems to be correlated to the temperature. The same hen might keep her chicks for only 4 or 5 weeks in late spring, but 10+ weeks in the autumn. In general it seems to be around the 5-7 week for my mamas. I've got two 12 week old cockerels, hatched in late late autumn, their mum has only just kicked them to the curb this week! They're bigger than she is.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My hens vary how long they keep their chicks. It seems to be correlated to the temperature. The same hen might keep her chicks for only 4 or 5 weeks in late spring, but 10+ weeks in the autumn. In general it seems to be around the 5-7 week for my mamas. I've got two 12 week old cockerels, hatched in late late autumn, their mum has only just kicked them to the curb this week! They're bigger than she is.
I waited to go out to close the door on the coop until the last hen walked in a hair before dark. I wanted to see how everyone lined themselves out. Mamma #2 was under the nesting box in the brooder nest spot with her 3 chicks and mamma #1 was up on the roost to the far north end where she has been roosting all week, hahahah standing wings slight up and a chick under each side. I dont know if she does that all night or not.

I went out at 5am got the morning set up for egg laying traffic, the 2 adult feeders have layer feed, the smaller red on has chick feed, there is a pan of mixed in the over hang/chicken coop porch all waters are fresh--

:fl ! 👉 ! you behave and dont make me come in there ! 🐓🐓🐥🐥 😂

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
momma #3 was acting like if she didnt get out of that cage she was going to go berserk-- so,, I took the bait and said ok,
I removed the cage and held two of the folding panels to swat hens if needed--- the 2 new chicks were just fine no one messed with them,, mamma scolded and corrected the older chicks rude behavior, no one got huts but they go a clear understanding of the expectations as did the whole flock, she did fight with one hen but it didnt last long,,, after that all was fine.
The main problem with letting them stay out of the cage is the the adults wont let the chicks eat or drink if they are , so several times I go out and shut the adults out just so the chicks and get good and full. so, I think the Tiny's need to be in the cage another week.
I'll let them out for a spell and put then them back. I think learning to follow the momma around is important, then need to listen to her calls and the cage it to small for that.

Latest posts