Need imput/approval regarding new official journal "questions" list...

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SD and SS,

I agree with you both.

As far as doc_gonzo and my journal are concerned, it's more about our ups/downs and 100% about our learning experiences of making our jump from living in the comforts of what we were used to, to what we decided to do. With our journal, we hope to be able to prepare someone like-minded and help them avoid the mistakes that we made/make.

As I said in my earlier post, I am just so excited to actually be where we are and living this way...it's hard at times not to get overly excited and spill too much personal information, but I'm learning quickly and getting over it.

In general, I'll answer the questions that I'm comfortable answering and not give my street address.

On the humorous side, if anyone comes to invade my garden, they are as SOL as I am as far as eating out of it...been too hot and dry for anything to set fruit so far. Not sure whether to laugh or cry over that one! :idunno

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is where I'm at with the garden, too, Dawn. I got a zucchini yesterday (the easiest thing not to mess up, of course) and I'm going to eat it today and shout halleluiah! Other than five pea pods, that is all I've harvested this year. I did better collecting nettles from the wilds!
I do, however, have some things in the ground still so there is hope.

Do we have more imput on the questions?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
These have been suggested:
1. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
2. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
3. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
4. Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
5. What was your MOS?
6. What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a cocanut from the tropics to England?
7. Wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

I felt this was from the masculine viewpoint as they are not questions I would have thought of but was assured that women would understand some of them as well. I didn't actually understand a couple, but that is because they did not apply to me, but when I hear their explanation I think it is valid and we should add these questions. I would insert them between the others on the current list as they look a little different, just like Abi's, so I'd want to bounce around with different type questions.

Imput?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
calendula said:
:gig Love the Monty Python reference! What is MOS?
ICU4Dz? help me here.....

DL, I love your question! Of course that should be in there. Maybe we should ask something about whether it is SS in any way?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
calendula said:
:gig Love the Monty Python reference! What is MOS?
ICU4Dz? help me here.....

DL, I love your question! Of course that should be in there. Maybe we should ask something about whether it is SS in any way?
MOS Military occupational specialty. It's a code numbering system used in the service to tell others what you are trained to do. The Navy uses NEC (for enlisted) or designator (for officers). Many folks have more than one. The Marines also use MOS. For example: Infantry rifleman is 0311

As for Monty Python, it has to be a European Swallow. :lol:

PRIORITY: ROUTINE

1808_images.jpeg

//BT//
Trim sends

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think we need the two funny ones in there for comic relief....there is Abi's about fishing methods and the swallow and coconut one. We ask a lot of serious questions and this doesn't have to be without humor....maybe we need a third kind of funny one to round things out. Suggestions?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I think we need the two funny ones in there for comic relief....there is Abi's about fishing methods and the swallow and coconut one. We ask a lot of serious questions and this doesn't have to be without humor....maybe we need a third kind of funny one to round things out. Suggestions?
Cloth or paper?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:gig I love it! and appropriate, too......

Latest posts