Need imput/approval regarding new official journal "questions" list...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Okay, Dawn, what do you think of this? I added a couple and the suggestions and reworded a few.....

These questions are meant to be a conversation starter, and to help everyone here know more about you and what mutual interests you may have with some of the members. Feel free to use this list, use a part of this list, or none at all, this is entirely optional. Please keep in mind that our journals are not diaries and private names, addresses, and personal details are not necessary to be relevant in answering these questions or, for that matter, in journal entries. If you do not understand a question, it is because it does not apply to you. Feel free to cut and paste from this list the questions you wish to answer. This isn't a "test".......................... this is so we can all have fun and learn how to be Sufficient Selves together!

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
3. How would you define self sufficiency?
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
8 Cloth or paper?
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
30. What was your MOS?
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
37. In what do you trust?
38. Do you make things yourself to save money?
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

Sooooooooooooooooo?

edited to reflect DL's two additional questions, 38 & 39.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
What do the abbreviations mean for #20 and #30? I'm not real computer savy!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
snapshot said:
What do the abbreviations mean for #20 and #30? I'm not real computer savy!
It isn't a computer abbreviation, the MOS is asking for your military rank and I believe #20 has to do with Ham radio. Those are two of the questions to which my phrase "if you don't understand the question then it doesn't apply to you".......and having a few mysterious questions will help us avoid trolls and weird people or giving away information we want to share discreetly. People who speak that technical lingo will jump right on it. Others like me will go HUH? but that is okay. It means, for instance, that if people say they were in the military, it is really true, not fabricated. While it isn't a "test", these questions can be a bit of a screening device, to find out if the new folks are like-minded or asks a question more discreetly so people who are in-the-know are not afraid to mention what they have.

I tried to design it that we have a few questions asking if they have a sense of humor, a few asking about their inner selves, a few asking about goals and dreams and a few asking about current activities that we might share with them. I tried to hit the bases with the different topics we discuss. That is why I added the herbal medicine one yesterday, because we do discuss that. I personally am not much of a believer in herbal medicine so I had to konk myself on the head when I added that, but I see that it is a common topic on here and my own feelings about it don't really matter. So I hope everyone looks at these questions the same way, a few don't matter to me, but do to somebody in the group.

DL, what question did you add? I thought only the author of each post could edit it and I don't see you changed anything. Do you mean you "did the questions" on your journal.....
*SD runs off to check.....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
SD, what about after we do the questions in our journels, we have a sticky thread where copy paste them. No commentary allowed in that thread. Just an easy place to find them in the future.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sounds like a question for Dawn.....I dunno if we can do that. I guess I should answer the questions too! I found reading yours very interesting even though I "know" you already.....I think this will be fun. :celebrate

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Your post is still the same, but you were thinking about putting in questions on a couple things that you had not given a number. I answered that bit at the end of my journal entry. Just thought you might be interested. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Your post is still the same, but you were thinking about putting in questions on a couple things that you had not given a number. I answered that bit at the end of my journal entry. Just thought you might be interested. :)
I don't see it on recent posts? Where did you answer the questions?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
These are great. Love reading the answers. Much better than the other list.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score

Latest posts