Need some help from the low carbers/LGI-ers...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
Yay Delia!!Congrats :)

Free...can I ask a question??
You mentioned that whey powder is a neurotoxin. I bought my hubby some protein powder because he is training for a marathon and is having trouble with getting enough protien and musce recovery. I did some research and settled on this one :

http://www.mrm-usa.com/v2/index.php...&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=94&Itemid=33

Now I am worried!

The nutritional quality of dietary protein depends greatly on amino acid composition and the concentration of essential amino acids that are provided for the synthesis of proteins within the body. As a derivative of milk production, the amino acid (AA) profile in whey proteins is closely related to the amino acids required by the human body. Whey proteins also have proportionately more sulfur-containing amino acids and contain a relative surplus of a variety of essential amino acids. This all results in an optimal balance of amino acids (building blocks of protein) needed for muscle growth. All Natural Whey holds the very highest biological value (HBV), meaning it rates number one in digestion, absorption, utilization, and retention. This is achieved by using highly specialized cross flow micro-filtration and isolation process. All Natural Whey can benefit those with a wide variety of health concerns ranging from the exceptionally healthy athlete, to those trying to support lean muscle mass (i.e., children, teenagers, less active individuals as well as elderly). All Natural Whey is also fortified with L-Glutamine, which has been shown clinically to naturally stimulate the release of growth hormone and act as a building block for one of the body's most important water-soluble antioxidants, glutathione. Whey protein is nutritionally perfect, meaning it contains all of the essential and non-essential amino acids required by the human body.

Advanced low temperature cross flow microfiltration process
Very low in fat (1 gram per serving)
Fortified with 1 gram of L-Glutamine per serving
Mixes instantly
Great tasting
No artificial sweeteners or flavors
Dace, A good Marathon energy food, is little dixie cups, with about 4 TBLS of raw coconut oil gently melted, and some dried fruit and soaked nuts. Allow to set up, and eat as needed.
You can make lots of them, and freeze them briefly to set, and then pop them out to fill a baggie for storage in the fridge.
This will keep them set up.
during the marathon, you can have these to hand to him, at various places on the course.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love that idea BB, BUT.....he doesnt' want to chew anything. He uses these gross gel/Gu things which I don;t agree with, but that is another topic :rolleyes:

The protein powder is for after a work out to help muscle recovery....and up his protein intake.

I know that powdered milk is bad bad bad...oxidized cholesterol or something??....but this one is low heat processed so I guess I had high hopes that it would be ok.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
I love that idea BB, BUT.....he doesnt' want to chew anything. He uses these gross gel/Gu things which I don;t agree with, but that is another topic :rolleyes:

The protein powder is for after a work out to help muscle recovery....and up his protein intake.

I know that powdered milk is bad bad bad...oxidized cholesterol or something??....but this one is low heat processed so I guess I had high hopes that it would be ok.
You can grind up the nuts and fruit up into butter, and mix it with the oil.
No need to chew then!
He may well be shocked at the amount of energy that will give him, versus the other stuff.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Dace said:

You can grind up the nuts and fruit up into butter, and mix it with the oil.
No need to chew then!
He may well be shocked at the amount of energy that will give him, versus the other stuff.
Oh now there is an idea! We did make him some great nut balls...they were ground nuts, coconut oil, coco powder, dates....quite yummy....but no go with the having to chew and run at the same time. I like the idea of turning it all into a butter!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
In Dr. Price's book, he talks about winning Olympic athletes from a Swiss village. They drank bowls of raw cream from pastured cows to prepare for their events.

Whey is a waste product and of course there will be lots of great sounding gobbledegook to promote it as a health food. Hydrogenated fats were touted as a healthier version of saturated fats, and yes, they closely resembled the fats in our cell walls, so they are good, right? Nope. So the article stating that the aminio acid profile is "closely related" to what is required by our body doesn't impress me.

There is some interesting stuff on the neuortoxic effects of damaged proteins on the Weston A. Price website, but I gotta run right now, so..... hopefully someone else will find it and post (hint-hint! :D )

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thank you Free......crud.

I will look it up (the site just happens to be open on my computer ;))

Will share what I find.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Powdered Milk

A note on the production of skim milk powder: liquid milk is forced through a tiny hole at high pressure, and then blown out into the air. This causes a lot of nitrates to form and the cholesterol in the milk is oxidized. Those of you who are familiar with my work know that cholesterol is your best friend; you don't have to worry about natural cholesterol in your food; however, you do not want to eat oxidized cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, to atherosclerosis. So when you drink reduced-fat milk thinking that it will help you avoid heart disease, you are actually consuming oxidized cholesterol, which initiates the process of heart disease.

and

Neurotoxins are transported throughout the body attached to protein components of lipoproteins, and therefore require cholesterol for their transport and elimination. These neurotoxins also have a strong affinity for lipoidal tissue of the nervous system and brain. A rise in cholesterol levels and triglycerides in response to neurotoxins protects by preventing permanent attachment of the neurotoxin to the nerve and brain cells. Symptoms of neurotoxicity are most likely to occur when the cholesterol is lowered suddenly or when the affected patient goes on a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-protein diet.
In a human trial, a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet was compared to a low-protein, high-carbohydrate diet. The researchers found greater clearance of toxins with the high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet and diminished clearance when the ratio was reversed.33,34 To utilise the protein correctly, the fat on the "lamb" needs to be eaten. The use of additional butter or lard in cooking is of paramount importance. By having adequate fat, bile production is stimulated, absorption of minerals increased and the excretion of mercury facilitated as long as constipation is avoided.

and http://www.westonaprice.org/Hyperbole-Meets-High-Tech-Slick-Sales-Talk-and-Modern-Energy-Bars.html

But there is nothing natural about the protein used in today's energy bars. Soy protein comes with an initial burden of phytic acid, enzyme inhibitors and isoflavones. More toxins are formed during high-temperature chemical processing, including nitrates, lysinalanine and MSG. Soy protein must be processed at very high temperatures to reduce levels of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors, a process that over-denatures many of the proteins in soy, especially lysine, making them unavailable to the body.
Whey protein is inherently fragile and must be processed at low temperatures or its qualities as a protein are destroyed. That is why casein rather than whey protein is used in animal chow. When cheese, butter and cream were made on the farm, the whey and skim milk were given to the pigs and chickens. But today these products are made in factories far from the farms where they originated, so the industry has a "whey problem," solved by drying the skim milk and whey at high temperatures and putting the powders into energy drinks, body building powders and high-protein bars.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ROFL! Am I the only one amused at the tendency to sell off the toxic byproducts as specialty health food??

Soy, whey....

*giggles*

Makes you VERY careful about any "new healthy product" out there!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for doing the research, Dace!!!

Really, I am the most pleased with a "graduate" of any of my classes if they are inspired to do research and question anything they see in advertisements! And share it, especially when they teach me!!!!
:woot