New From Oregon's "Dry Side"

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
:welcome Thanks for the pictures. So how do you garden over there and what do you grow?
Gardening is a bit of a challenge here. We have very sandy/volcanic soil and get less than 10 inches of rain a year. In the summer it can be 100 degrees and in winter it can be -20. We can have frost any month of the year. I have frozen out twice in July. I grow tomatoes/peppers in a hoop house. Right now I have 20 tomato plants in one hoop house and tonights forcast is for 26 degrees. I am sweating it. The hoop house is closed up and covered with 2 sleeping bags and a blanket. I wish I had pics of it, but it is a fairly new addition and I don't have any yet. I grow greens in a cold frame most of the year. (high summer they are in a raised bed off the patio). I do have pics of that. Last winter I harvested salad out of that until the last week of February. It withstood temps down to -13. I was very impressed with it. I am building another one for this year.
DSC02420.jpg
This was in Oct/Nov of this year. I cover it at night with a sleeping bag and a tarp, and I have compost/clippings piled up around the sides for insulation.
DSC02422.jpg

DSC02423.jpg

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grow just about everything we eat except corn. It is difficult to grow corn here due to the growing season and the inability to grow it in a hoophouse/greenhouse/cold frame. I can and freeze a lot. I have a few fruit trees (my folks have a big orchard though-so I get a lot from them too) and an old, functional cider press, so we make and freeze that too. We eat wild game (hunters) and goat/pork that we raise ourselves. I also have milk goats and make cheese and hubby makes awesome ice cream. I have blackberries and raspberries that produce well and blueberries that produce less well, but we do get some.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Loved the horse pics. Around here, about the only places you can ride, you need to trailer to. And, right now, I can't trailer any place! I need new bearings on my trailer. :(

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from NE Ohio! :frow

The pictures of the plants are cool, thanks for sharing! The greens look wonderful!

:welcome

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We have similar climates, but it looks like you get a bit colder and I get a tad more rain. I tried cold frames for the first time this year. One I used for early starters and the other I grew greens. They both did great, but my greens frame did so well my radishes and bok choy bolted :p Got plenty of lettuce and spinach though.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is really cool how much of the year you get crops, and my climate is more mild so I suspect I could be doing that too.

Is that a lot of time and work involved, taking care of the cold frame plants? Or is it mostly the set up? I have a lot of rain, I mean a LOT, do you think your method would work if it were a lot more wet?

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grew up in the Willamette Valley SD. I suspect it would work BETTER there because you aren't dealing with the extreme temps. After I stopped harvesting at the end of Feb. the cold frame stood empty for exactly one week and then I planted it again. By then it was the first of March and the days were longer and I got good germination again. I was without home grown greens on the table for exactly 6 weeks out of 52 all year. It was in full production again by April.

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oops, I didn't really answer your question. I am sorry. It is not hard to take care of, but you MUST take care of it. If you fail to open it on a bright sunny day, you will cook you crop. If you fail to close/cover it on a cold night, you will freeze your crop. But it isn't hard. It takes all of maybe a minute to uncover in the morning and all of maybe 2 minutes to cover at night.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
wow! is there a book you read that taught you how to do that? or a website?

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just googled it and read a lot of articles. Lots of people use a cold frame just as a plant starter at the beginning of the season. Many articles talk about them just in that context. You have to hunt a little more (but not a lot) to find ones that use them as little mini greenhouses-which is what I did. There is lots of info out there. Hubby and I are headed out in a little bit to go yard saleing. I will try to link a few of my favorite articles when I get back in the evening. :)