New From Oregon's "Dry Side"

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, and just to add real quick--most of the material in mine is salvaged. We have maybe 35 dollars in it and 20 of that is paint. The wood was salvaged from a job (hubby is a contractor) and so was the old shower door we used for glazing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My walls are straw bales and the glass is from some glass doors we got when a friend remodeled. The avoid the opening and closing and opening issue, I use thermal mass in the form of 2 liter bottles filled with water. The radishes and bok choy actually bolted after I removed the glass and we got a natural temperature spike. Of course 2 days later it snowed. Never a dull moment when gardening out west! :D

deenamr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am inspired by your cold frame. I have been thinking about doing one for a couple of years but think it may have to happen this year. I am a couple of mile off Hwy 97 to the west. So we really are pretty close. Breaking ground on a new house next week so I have a busy summer ahead of me. I generally do a big garden, put in a orchard/berry patch last year, have chickens and ducks, accidentally got goats this year alittle ahead of schedule.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, how do you accidentally get goats?

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My walls are straw bales and the glass is from some glass doors we got when a friend remodeled. The avoid the opening and closing and opening issue, I use thermal mass in the form of 2 liter bottles filled with water. The radishes and bok choy actually bolted after I removed the glass and we got a natural temperature spike. Of course 2 days later it snowed. Never a dull moment when gardening out west! :D
Pics?? That sounds like something Hubby wouldn't have to help me with. :)

deenamr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
mydakota said:
Denim Deb said:
OK, how do you accidentally get goats?
Yeah, what she said!!?? :D
I work for a vet and we had a pregnant Nigerian come in who had been in labor for 9 hours and unable to deliver. We tried medications and tried to pull the baby. When we couldn't get the baby out and advised we needed a csection the owners opted to euthanize. As opposed to killing the goat and them paying for services already performed the doctor asked if they would sign her over and we would forget the bill and I would give them a good home. It was truly a miraculous gift to me. I wasn't prepared but have a large supply of chainlink panels. So we put up a pen an moved in a big dog igloo and were set. My dad had spent years talking about how much he wanted some dwarf goats. 10 days before this he had been released from the hospital with a terminal cancer diagnosis. He spent that Sat - Tues talking about those goats and all the people he knew that were raised on goats milk and about milking them. That Tuesday night he slipped into a coma and died the next afternoon. I was so glad his last days were spent with his time being occupied with thoughts he got so much pleasure out of.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
what a touching story denamer. :hugs

Thank you for all those links, mydakota....I will have to bookmark this page. Those are great plans there.

I do live about an hour and a half from Chehalis. I'm closer to Mt. Saint Helen's but on the south side.