NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
4 babies disbudded, one of the older boys wethered, 3 doelings tattooed and how many CDT shots? Don't remember, lol

One baby is not looking great. Think I might have to give him supplemental bottles. Any idea how much I should give him?
@frustratedearthmother @Mini Horses
He's 75% nigie 25% alpine, 2 weeks old. Tail down, and belly doesn't feel very full. Not lethargic, no scours, no bloat. Just think mom's feeding the sisters and he's getting pushed aside a bit. I really really don't want a bottle baby!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd just offer him a bottle first to see if he'll take it....if he just needs supplemented you could start with about 4 ounces at first. His tummy might not be used to much very milk at a time. Just offer him that a couple times a day and if he is really hungry you could start increasing it a little at a time. But, once he gets used to a bottle he's gonna want it every time he sees you, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's supposed to be raised for meat. I didn't disbud him because I wanted to force myself to eat him lol. I don't want friendly meat! Mom's hanging out with him so I'm not pulling him altogether but I'll just give him a bottle and see how that goes. Better go wash my milk pail...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That... Was interesting.

I decided to try to milk Lilly because she's the only one I've milked before. Hey apparently she does not want me to. She stood great. Decently full udder. Not a drop of milk. Would not let down. Brat!

So I got Mimosa up on the stand. She was kicking but not too bad. I milked her til she stopped kicking (I won!) and got a bottle.

Baby won't take a bottle. Baby won't drink out of a bowl. Baby is annoying me at this point. Then I told DH... You're gonna hate me... Let's hold her. So, lucky DH held Mimosa and baby nursed like a fiend. Mimosa was ANGRY. Not at baby, at DH. She actually takes care of him but won't let him nurse. Ugh.

DH is unhappy with this arrangement so I'm going to try a different bottle tomorrow. Sigh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That would be accurate! So how exactly do you convince a goat to let down her milk? I have never had that problem!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just go through my routine....wipe it clean, give it a few squeezes, and squirt a bit out to make sure there's no dirt in the end of the teat. But, they can be stubborn. Sometimes they have to get into the whole routine on their own before it gets easier. I had one that took weeks and weeks before she "got it"...ugh. It'll probably be better when she's full and a bit uncomfortable. I betcha it'll get easier after a couple days..... :hu

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm considering not milking Lilly and letting her dry off. She doesn't produce much and I will get more than enough from the other three. DH thinks I'm nuts. I think milking three is enough with a baby, lol. She's also a grain hog for what little she produces.

Tonight I separate Patty's kids, maybe Lilly's also. I'll milk Patty and Mimosa (even with kids on her she's got plenty to take) in the morning. So I'll make yogurt and cheese immediately, lol!!