NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Effort in return for little milk is not worth it. Especially for you, you have your hands full enough with a baby and a toddler already.

Yoghurt and cheese sounds soooo good!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's my thought but I feel like a slacker lol!

I have never made yogurt but I can't wait!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for milk products! I started my first batch of cheese for the season this morning. Need to see if my culture is still active. If not - the dogs/pigs/chickens will enjoy the "failed" batch.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today we gave 3 more CDT shots and wethered a little dude who will be raised for meat, so we didn't mind doing it early - ish.

Since we decided to band him, I'm letting him stay with mom tonight. I'm not that mean, lol! So I'll start separating babies tomorrow night instead!

3 babies listed for sale today, they can be weaned in 2 weeks and I'm not wanting to hold on to them for too much longer past that!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK -- letting milk down. I've used a warm wet cloth on the teat and then bumped her with my hand holding the cloth -- like a kid does when they want milk! I have also put a kid near her and let them holler, she will generally let it go. Ya have to be sneaky sometimes, they don't associate the kid in front & you in back.

Sometimes it's not needing the amount of milk you get but, the getting it. Milk and cheese does freeze well. Chickens love it. Dogs love it.

Congrats on all the kids. I have my first doe in a kidding pen, she's dropped, ligs gone, off to self, experienced doe. Not a lot of goo yet but it is day 150. Expect kids next 24 hrs. Her daughter is due any day, also....maybe 24-48 hrs. I work all weekend. :rolleyes: BUT weather is warm!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo on your upcoming kids! I knew you must be close to getting some little ones! Can't wait to hear what you get.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning -- twin doelings this morning! :celebrate

Shocked and thrilled. Norm for four years has been trip bucks, white or tan. This year 2 black girls!! Mini Nubs. 4th gen. Next doe due within 24 hrs, will give mini nub 5th gen. Again, 3 yrs she's had trip bucks. Who knows -- maybe a new trend. I hope!