NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not interested in milking and giving extra to chickens, etc. Grain to keep them producing well costs too much. They can have whey when I make cheese lol. We'll see, I haven't decided yet what my plan is. Depends on how much the big girls give me!

Congrats on the babies!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milked everyone this morning. Trial run, didn't get a ton of milk, but it's milk! Had some machine issues, working out the kinks since it's new.

Bellini was so much better than I thought she would be. I mean she kicked but I thought she would half kill herself lol! She and Mimosa have kids on full time so not a ton of milk but got some. Patty has a lovely FF udder but very Nigie teats, she did pretty well. All three kicked a little but two are FF's so no biggie.

Lilly, however, was awful. Kicking, lying down, spastic. Uhh. She's a 3F... I milked her for 6 months last time and she was lovely on the stand. I fought her to prove my point (and stuck a bucket under her), but I already didn't want to milk her and now I really don't! DH finally agreed I should sell her, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on milk!!! Lilly? What the HECK? Boo! I swear sometimes these goats have mush for brains!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're not kidding! Well I wanted to get out of Nigerians! Lol I will put up with that from a big producer. I will not put up with that from a mediocre Nigerian with bad hooves and poor parasite resistance. Sorry Lilly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bye, bye Lilly!

You do this right! Goats don't get with the program - see ya later! I need to take lessons from you.... I'm a goat hoarder....sigh

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha! I feel mean sometimes, but as a SAHM who doesn't have the extra money, I watch numbers very closely. Mimosa, Bellini and Patty will be lovely, and my GG's will join the lineup in 2 years. And we'll be good for quite a while! I feel a little bad for Patty until the GG's get here, the twins aren't exactly friendly, but then I'll let her live with my GG's until they're a bit bigger.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milk tastes a bit off. Think either Bellini hasn't cleared the colostrum totally or I didn't cool it fast enough. Hmm... It's not terrible but it isn't great either.