NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The babies have an appointment for disbudding next week. Poor things! Hoping the girls grow some horn buds between now and then so they can all be done at the same time. It's a long drive, but the vet is a dairy goat breeder and he's really the best.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It should be ok even if the little gals don't do much horn growing before then. If he shaves the head real good he should be able to see the spot to burn. There's usually a little raised area that's pretty easy to pick out even when they're only a couple days old. However, I have been known to wait a little longer on some if the itty bitty ones. I used to show with some folks who disbudded and wethered on the day their babies were born. :th It took a while to convince them that it wasn't best practice.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek! That's pretty traumatic!

Patty's babies look the best of all of them, they're super sturdy! Which is awesome cause we're keeping them. Everyone still looks good though. Happy mamas, happy babies!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah so far. Although I just listed Peppermint for sale with her bucklings so I'm gonna have room in the barn lol! We put all three girls together with their babies. Lilly and Patty would stomp at the other babies, Peppermint attacked them. Nailed them into the wall. Then, she grabbed Lilly's buckling by the ear with her mouth, shook him around and nailed him into a board. She's all done. They weren't even near her babies so she was not being protective. So. Mad. Had to talk my husband out of making ground goat.

So now I'm down a kidding stall because Peppermint has to be segregated. UGH!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh no! :( Stupid girl. What got into her? Hope you can find her a good home and she will behave better there…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have a 4H family coming to look at them tomorrow :)