NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Finally! :)

We had a storm pass last night. Fierce winds and lots of rain, but no damage or disruptions thankfully.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me get this milk machine to work. DH has to help me, he had to leave early for work and I had a little meltdown because to get the machine to work, you have to hold the lid on the bucket, mess with one of the connectors, and hold the teat cups on until they get suction. And they kick so they need a leg held too. I do not have 6 hands. I wish I did. I am tempted to take some money from selling kids and buy a Simple Pulse. I need $400 because I already have the vacuum pump. I am all for homemade but not when it doesn't work.

Anyway, Mimosa has a lovely udder. Not ideal teat placement but I can live with that.

Having an I don't wanna be a farmer kind of day.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That machine sounds like more hassle than it's worth… You're getting some money in from the goats now, so I'd vote for buying what you need for the milking. You don't have 6 hands or the time with a baby and a toddler and all the farm chores already.

Don't worry, we all have days like that :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am tempted to take some money from selling kids and buy a Simple Pulse. I need $400 because I already have the vacuum pump. I am all for homemade but not when it doesn't work.
I loooooove mine (!) even though I'm hand milking right now because I'm only milking Cameo regularly but have been milking Lucy in the evenings. When I have them both in full-production I'll probably start using it again.

Yep- I have those "I don't wanna be a farmer" days too. But, they pass!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hand milking hurts! Lol I milked them a little and gave their babies back. Tomorrow DH should be home, it's supposed to snow and they're doing a roof.

I've heard all rave reviews about the simple pulse! I so want one. DH thinks they're too expensive but he's not going to want to milk at 5am every day so he'll deal lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have goat milk yogurt in the machine, made some homemade granola and tomorrow we'll mix in some blueberries we picked and maple syrup we made... Yummy!!!