NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I knew someone a few years back who was having trouble with a neighbor's dog. He shot the dog with a paint gun, lol. The neighbor came over griping and moaning about "you shot my dog - how dare you?" My friend told him it was to prove that he was a good shot and next time he wouldn't be using a paint gun. The dog never came back.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH saw a huge fox last night. Looked well fed. Probably eating a lot of chicken!

So yesterday DH brought some chevre to work and shared with the crew (except the vegan, lol but I told him I hugged my goats so I'm offended he didn't try it) and the people whose house they're working (a lovely older gentlemen couple who are preparing for the zombie apocalypse and no, I'm not joking). So now everyone wants to buy cheese and I'm like dude... It's illegal. I can sell raw milk but I can't sell cheese. I'm curious how hard it is to get certified as a dairy...

Also one of his coworkers wants to buy milk, eggs, whole chickens and eventually pork. Hmm... I told DH to talk to me after our trip to Maine because when we get back, I'm going to start weaning and milking twice a day. Until then all my milk is spoken for. Also, we need more layers before we can sell eggs!

This morning I was bummed at how little milk we got... Then I remembered we were 2 hours late locking up babies so it was only a 10 hour fill. Phew! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - you need more chickens, more goats, more cheese...! So, you can't sell cheese, but maybe you can sell a container...might not be a "clean" container...might have some "milk residue" in it...!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like a lot of potential business from your farm projects there!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It could be.... We'll see! I'm on the fence about keeping one of Mimosa's doelings. I might keep her a year and see how she matures. She'll have richer milk since she's 3/4 Nigerian. And she's the only social one of the bunch, lol. Hmm... No decisions til we get back from our vacation anyway!

Threw a bunch of old seeds in the manure pile and some in the old pig pen. Don't know what will take but I suppose we'll see.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is awesome! I hope I'll have you some in a few weeks....but them gals need to get busy! I'm not getting very many eggs out of that pen...:(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slackers! Lol just kidding. Molting or older ladies, or just being stubborn? I'm not in any rush though, DD1 is so excited. She loves her orps!

Our friend who lives through the woods about a mile from us caught the fox on his security camera killing his favorite roo. Same fox that was here last night it sounds like. Once we get a few other things done, we're building a coop fortress for all these new birdies! No more free ranging.