NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks!!! :caf

Too nice to butcher?? :barnie Only want turkey for the freezer. OK, would keep a trio if they were not a terror to keep around. Already have a location & shelter. Will let you know what happens. Just do not need another thing to feed -- if they fed ME, then a consideration. Also, they will breed naturally. Anyone see a trend in my thinking? :he

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ours are fun and they're no bother. Only issue we have is the wild turkeys bothering them, we've had a couple wild toms come pick fights! And you have to keep them in a covered pen or run the risk of them flying off. If they have enough space they prefer bugs to grain. Mine won't eat corn, but it's not a great feed for them anyway.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's about 50X70, not topped, just 5' fence --- which they could go over if they wanted. I could cross it with some wires. Hear that keeps many birds from attempting to fly in/out.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a great size! We need to work on expanding our turkey pen. And adding a couple pens. I may or may not be ordering more turkeys... ;) just from a hatchery, we'll run them until we can afford breeder quality birds.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH bought a new gun that isn't a common caliber so we took a trip to get some ammo to a a farm store we love. Aaand... Maybe DD1 talked us into a couple polish chicks there. Weirdest birds ever but she has been asking for some for a year. So we got 2, because chicken math.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkeys......if I were to get turkeys, it would be Bourbon Reds. Supposedly, they set and raise their young. But I have enough eaters around here......

Polish....my DH loves the way they look, maybe someday we'll get some of those. They would be for yard pets.

That is awesome about your DD1 being such a good reader.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All heritage turkeys will raise their young. It's awesome. I am ordering more chocolates and some Narragansett.

Yeah the polish are pets, so we only got two. And they are sexed pullets.