NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha! I don't mind crazy if they aren't aggressive. If they are, stew pot!

Thanks, it's a super nice $1600 rifle he got for $600. He's pretty psyched. It is LOUD.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is pretty much our arrangement, yes. Lol! I owed him... I've gotten a few goats lately ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have been cleaning and rearranging the living room and bedroom all day. And DH threw out stuff!! Yay!! Lol 2 trash bags full. Now out to feed, and try to move the chickens into the big side of the big coop. Then I can clean out the little side when DH is at work and we can get the brooder in there. We'll put everyone with the Cornish roo for a bit but DH gave him a 2 week grace period. After that, if his attitude doesn't change, we're going to find out what Cornishes taste like!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WooHoo! Yay for purging, lol!

Hope the Cornish roo behaves himself. Maybe you should hang a recipe for 'mean rooster soup' where he can see it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You mean that Cornish roo is still hanging around? I thought he was already gone to freezer camp! Physco rooster!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, the Dominique is gone. The Cornish is still kicking. I refuse to feed and water him, so DH is in charge of that pen. He tries to attack every time someone walks by. DH wants to get some chicks out of him to raise for meat, just so he knows how Cornishes taste and then if it's worth it, we'll pursue getting good quality (non psycho) breeding stock. But I'm over him and I want him to go. At least he's in a pen, if he was free ranging he wouldn't be here...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I wouldn't breed with that Cornish. Temperament can get passed on to the chicks and he sounds like a dud. Cornish chickens are usually much nicer. I "met" a Cornish cockbird at a poultry show about 3 years ago and fell in love with the breed right there. He was so lovely!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are aware of that. We are breeding to butcher all the offspring. We aren't keeping any. We want to know if it's worth pursuing getting quality breeding stock for future keepers for eggs and meat. There are no local breeders so it'll be pricey if we decide we must have them since we won't use a hatchery again.