NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dunno? No turkeys... Just mentioned turkeys because the taste is so different from broad breasted. :) just chicken eggs now.

Our power is out AGAIN! DH got home right after it went out and started the generator because... 1-eggs on lockdown 2- chicks in brooder and 3-pigs in electric fence. Eek! Apparently there are trees down across some lines. It's not windy and barely sprinkling rain so.... Did the trees just quit? I lose power here ALL THE TIME!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm really tired. It probably didn't make sense. I forgot to add the whole "start the generator" part of the previous post and it made zero sense... Lol had to go fix it! Baby sleeps well but fusses in her sleep quite a bit some nights. She doesn't wake up, but I do!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah it's one of the best purchases we've made! We use it a lot, unfortunately! Our linesmen are on strike, happy they go to work for outages at least! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning we got news that a very good family friend of DH (one of the people in TN) passed away last night. Then when he got home from work his dad said another family friend was put on hospice care and told it will only be a matter of weeks. He is doing OK, though he's obviously upset.

But weather wise, it was a gorgeous day today! I cleaned out the brooder (chicks are doing great), made chevre and yogurt and made stuffed shells with homemade ricotta (ok farmers cheese technically because I made it with milk not whey).

DH moved the pigs' electric fence so they're thrilled! So cute, Charlotte runs out and runs the fence line to see how much space she has and then they head for the clover!

I think Patty is weaning her buckling. I was going to do that... Maybe I won't have to! He's crying a lot and I haven't seen him nurse at all. He's huge, and he's like 13 weeks old so he's good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that your husband lost his friend, and its looking like he will lose another friend. Good friends are hard to come by and a loss is hard.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's so sad - condolences to your DH for the loss of his friend. And then to find out that another family member has been put on hospice - talk about a double whammy... :(

Glad ya'll had some good weather! We had storms today. We needed the rain!

Bet your piggies are loving the clover! Clover is dying off around here... not much left at all.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, he is taking this one hard. She was like a second mother to him. His mother is an alcoholic so a second mother was an important thing for him to have.

The pigs are so happy, I wish we had more grassy areas for them. We have mostly brush, it's goat heaven other than the acre or so that the house is on!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Condolences to your DH for the loss of his friend. Losing friends and family, whether they are blood related or not, is hard..