NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you. He's adopted so blood relations don't mean much to him. He lost his best friend and since then a lot of other "family". He was very upset last night. He's a tough person but far more sensitive than he would ever admit!

One of the baby goats just scooted under the fence and smack into the pigs' electric fence. Screaming and panic ensued! They're all freaked out now. I think they'd respect electric just fine! I might put up some strands in the brush and give them some more browse!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I always say "Sometimes, just sometimes, water is thicker than blood" Hugs to your DH.

The people I've been closest to most of my life, apart from my brother and for too short a time, before I lost them both to cancer, my aunts, were not blood relations.

Ouch little goat! I guess that is one way to learn though ;) With that said I sincerely hope they learn quicker than my DS. I can recall at least 2 incidents where he touched electric fences "to see if they are on". They were.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can recall at least 2 incidents where he touched electric fences "to see if they are on". They were.
That is NOT the way to check a fence! Bless his heart, lol.

I agree that sometimes the folks you are closest too have no blood connection. You can't pick your family, but you sure can pick your friends!

Poor baby goat! I'm considering extending the electric fence around the outside of the pig area - not to keep them in necessarily - but to keep some of the others OUT! The pigs IN the pen like to stay there because they get feed handed to them twice a day. The ones that are OUT get to graze and get a little feed snack once a day. They're not stupid - they know where the groceries are!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol so true! Every time I go in the barn I have to battle everyone because they want to get on the stand in case they missed a morsel, lol!

Just made yogurt smoothies with yogurt I made overnight, goat milk, frozen veggies and a little honey. I have popsicle molds I freeze smoothie pops in (for DD1 but I like them on a hot day too), and we're drinking the extra now. Yum!

I was all set to make some soap but my lye is old and is a solid block... That's not gonna work!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yogurt smoothies sound sooooo good! I need to make some more yogurt. I found one old jar in the back of the fridge yesterday - but eeeewwww. Pigs got it, lol.

Yay :weee for the chick!!! Hope there are many more to come.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been making yogurt twice a week. I am not a yogurt lover but when I make granola and put in honey or maple syrup... It's a pretty good breakfast!

Couple more chicks have started.... Hoping for a good hatch for DH's sake!

Busy day today. Have to go to the library, feed store... Then after DH gets home we're going to get lumber to build a new little front porch. Then need to get some round bales while we have my parents' truck and trailer. My car has a trailer hitch but the trailer we need is a bit much for it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pigs get whey. I don't like them enough to give them milk, lol. I use it all. Even if I make chevre or ricotta and freeze it. Need to get more lye this weekend and make soap too... Silly to be buying soap! I have a recipe for shampoo bars too... Need to try that! The chemicals in shampoos are... Ew...