NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope so! But I suppose the good side is, I have multiple roos to choose from so we should end up with a good one!

I can't upload pics right now unless I happen to go visit my parents later. I'm out of high speed data and don't have wifi. It's a pain... Need to get wifi soon, for homeschooling... Also for picture sharing lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is a big plus, being able to select a good rooster! I love wifi… So nice to have it in the house, when it works properly. My modem is not fantastic, but it's dirt cheap monthly, so I can't complain too much.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cleaning the big barn stall today... DH is finishing our new front deck. It'll be nice to have stairs again. We've been picking up dogs amd kids to go in and out lol. The dogs are not impressed!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are trying! Lol! Other than accidentally murdering my started plants we're doing OK. Oops...

2 weeks and we'll have our GG's! We have a fair amount to do before we go. We have to move the pigs to fresh grass, clean the other barn stall for the new girls, move the chickens and set up auto waterers and feeders for them and the turkeys. And I need to get my raised bed planted next weekend or we won't have tomatoes before frost! And I don't even want to think about fencing. I need to wean babies and put the boys in with Cliff when we get back... The baby girls will go with the GG's after a week or so (I've seen that farm's test results so quarantine is not a huge issue for me). But.... I get a mini vacation and it's so worth it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No more chicks hatched, incubator is unplugged and I'll clean it out today. Gotta clean the brooder too.

Bellini has been taking the babies on walkabouts, DH needs to help me fix a couple spots on the fence lol! My parents are going to feed the animals for us when we go. They're taking care of the dogs anyway. The pigs have a stream they can access for water and a ton of grass to eat, and all the poultry will be good with auto feeders and waterers so it's just the goats. I have it set up so they can feed Clifford from outside the pen, he has been a little umm... Frisky lately lol. He's fine and responds to correction but not for non-goat people. Just mostly crowding and being a little pushy. He's bored, he'll have friends in two weeks! Then I have babies to wean and sell! And maybe try to find a pet home for Patty. We'll see...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang, dang dang. It's hard to resist the urge to curse right now! Think happy thoughts for my baby goat. She just escaped the fence and got tangled in the poultry netting and got it wrapped around her neck. Tight, and multiple times. I cut it off her and got her in the shade with mom. She's standing OK but panting hard. I don't know how long she was there but it's hot out today.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man - hope she'll be ok! If it makes you feel better yesterday I saw Red standing with her head through the fence eating some weeds down on the other side. She must've loved those weeds cuz she stood there for hours....DUH! This ding dong had her head stuck and I didn't realize it for half a day. She was quite unhappy and pretty worn out when I finally got her out. We were in the high 90's yesterday afternoon.

There were actually two panels. I had leaned an extra one up against the existing fence and wired it up there so it wouldn't fall over. So when she got her head through the first one, she had to lower her head a little to get it through the next one - worked fine going in. But when she tried to get her head OUT - she couldn't maneuver through both of them. GRRRRRR!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw poor Red! It's like 85 today, which is hot for NH! but poor thing was thrashing in direct sun so she was pretty overheated. She's breathing calm now and in the barn with everyone, but not as spunky as normal still. I'll give her some probiotics when DH gets home in about an hour.

I feel like a jerk, but I didn't baby proof outside their pen! And now my fencing is ruined... That fencing is almost as expensive as a baby goat, lol. Good thing we haven't really been using it!