NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad the goat is OK. Yes, the fence can be repaired by wrapping it back together --- don't ask how I know!! :he

It is expensive. It isn't, IMO, as good for livestock as they claim. If REALLY HOT they learn, otherwise, nada! Shorts out really easily, too.

Sooooon we will see GGs, right?? :clap

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's like $100 new I think. I bought it used for like $20 and it occasionally worked. I haven't been impressed, and it's a pain to move. Don't even know if I'll fix it, honestly. Baby is eating hay, drinking water and when I go near her she runs away. So, back to normal, lol!

DH is finishing my raised bed tonight!

Can't wait to get back from Maine and ship out all the extra goats. FEM I don't know how you do it with as many as you have. Think I might get myself back down to 6. That means 4 to sell, 1 to eat!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! They're bottle babies so they're super super friendly. She said they're the life of the farm! They'll actually still be getting a bottle a day when I get them... I know nothing about bottle feeding... Lol. I think they'll be 9 weeks? I forget when they were born... Oh well. Mimosa and Bellini are giving me plenty of milk so won't be an issue!

I must go shopping for sunscreen and bug spray. The bugs in Maine are intense! Not sure why they're so much worse than here but they totally are!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK... So... Here's life right now. My stepdad has owned the same business since the 80's. It's closing next week. His parents' house that he lived in as a kid and he inherited is under contract, closing mid June. Now my parents' house (they're my neighbors) is under contract, closing in July. My nephew from Virginia is coming to visit in the middle of it all, which brings up family drama because my brother is a useless father. Oh and the land across from me, which is wooded, is for sale so potentially I could be losing a lot of privacy if someone builds there! And totally unrelated, but someone introduced a ridiculous amount of feral cats to the neighborhood, not really sure what's going on there. But they love my yard and I do not love them.

I also don't have a thing planted. Go me! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze.....nothing like family drama to getcha going!

Hope the land across from you does NOT sell. Losing privacy is no fun. Neighbors can be a real PIA. Cats...I'm not a cat person so I should not make suggestions, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neither are we, especially DH. He hates cats!

It's kind of swampy over there so it might be a hard sell, we'll see!

I feel like I'm in Texas with you. The humidity today is unreal. I hope it storms. We really need rain.

Going shopping for dog food, sunscreen and bug spray today haha. Really need to get some tomato plants this weekend. The mother of a friend of DH's has a little greenhouse and is selling started heirloom tomatoes. Must pay her a visit!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, you could do all the shopping in one trip.....include the plants. Then, it's done. I bought some & as soon as it did, it rained for 12 days straight! Couldn't till. Then working 12 days straight....couldn't till....more rain...finally a day off and NO rain. That's when I got it done and huge plants off of my front porch into the garden.

Moral is -- they can live if watered. :D Mine are currently doing well -- Feel good that it got done.

Cats -- well, a few can be good mousers (my approx. 20 y/o doesn't even watch them run by anymore) and too many can be a real issue with their "dig & poo" habits. They love newly cultivated soil. :( Uuuhhhh...gardens.