NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is! I'm so excited! Also excited to get away for the weekend, eat lobster, and go to the ocean. There's a lighthouse that's open to the public, so we'll go there. We are so lucky DD2 is an easy going baby. She's great in the car, loves her stroller and loves being outside. There's a huge playground at the campground for DD1 too. And weather looks promising!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time for all! I'm re-thinking shipping eggs this week. Wouldn't it make more sense to ship next week when you're back home? That way you don't have to worry about them getting there on time, the power going out while you're gone or anything else!

I can just keep collecting and send you the freshest early NEXT week. What do ya think??

When will ya'll be back home?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We leave Friday morning and will be back Sunday afternoon. It honestly doesn't matter either way, whatever works for you! There's no bad weather in the forecast. I like to think that means no power outages, lol. But... My power company is pretty awesome. OK it's not really their fault, the lines run through some serious heavy woods. A lot of the lines are only accessible by ATV. But would it kill them to cut some trees?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think the biggest concern for me is that even though we might try to get overnight or second day....I've had instances where those have not come in time. I'd be bummed if they didn't reach you until you after you'd left for the weekend. :( I've only got 8 eggs right now, but if they lay a couple today I could go ahead and ship tomorrow which would surely work out....if not, let's wait until next week.

Silly power company - you'd think they'd want to thin the trees out some just to make their job easier. About this time every year (pre-hurricane season) we get tree companies coming through and trimming all the limbs that are even close to a power line. Makes things a lot easier in case of a storm for SURE!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Far as I know the linemen are on strike and only working for emergencies. So there will be even less tree trimming than normal. Sigh. Something about their 401K plans.

Either way is fine for me! If they were to come in while we're gone my parents could pick them up but they're watching the animals so better if they don't have to! They'll be nervous enough about the critters. I hope no one keels over while we're gone, it wouldn't be their fault but my mother would cry for weeks!

DD2 now has a cold and I have accomplished nothing today because I must hold her all day, she says!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Poor DD2! Bless her little self! Hope she feels better before the trip this weekend.

Hope the animals behave themselves while your parents are watching them and double wishes that nobody croaks!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm having goat fence issues. They may have to be incarcerated while we're gone. Really it's only 48 hours. They'd be mad but alive, and not pregnant!

Stopped raining and we spent about an hour outside. DD2 is so an outside baby. She's happy just hanging out outside. She gets bored inside I think!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugggggg, not a problem you want right before you go outta town. If they need to be incarcerated - so shall it be, lol!

Ok, I think I'm gonna ship eggs tomorrow if nothing happens to stop me. I got 4 eggs today so that made an even dozen! Yay girls!

Guess I'm gonna need an address. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okie dokie - I'm on pins and needles hoping I can pack them good enough.... it's like sending babies through the mail, lol!