NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate when people ask what my bottom dollar is. I am not a used car salesman. Offer me a price or pay what I'm asking! Goat prices here are so high. Can't get a doeling for under $200 unless it's a bottle baby from an untested herd. I sold my stand trained Nigerian for $200 to move her fast. Sold my last babies for $100 each. Asking less for these if they go as a group just to (hopefully) move them.

I need like 6 different kinds of grain right now. Actually seven. Sigh. Better get going.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
$65, that's without getting hay or shavings. And I just realized I forgot chick feed. Will have to get that later this week. Ugh. Will last me at least a couple of weeks though.

It's bike week up here. That means I've witnessed many near accidents already. The ER at the local medical center has extra staff on, including neurologists and surgeons, for bike week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh! (but I wish mine feed bill would go down to that!) Hoping it's gonna get better after I move a few more critters...

Geeze, Bike Week doesn't sound like such a wonderful idea... :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No it's pretty dangerous!

So we found a home for the turkey hens and we're going to butcher the tom. He's only a year old, he'll be tasty! When we butcher him we'll also butcher the cornish roo. We'll probably try to get the gilt this weekend. She's old enough to breed now, that would give us fall babies. No biggie there.

I've quit on planting anymore, it's so late now. I'll plant kale in August for a fall crop, and I'm going to try to plant carrots under hay for winter harvesting. Supposedly if you keep them under hay they'll be OK, even with our winters. We'll find out!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good news on rehoming the turkey hens....and I'll bet that tom will be delish! Yay on the Cornish being gone, lol. It's been a long time coming for him.

So excited about you getting another piggy! Can't wait for the pics.

Are the GG's settling in?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are, they're so sweet. And they really love their bottles, lol. She had them on two a day, but they're 10 weeks old and eating hay and grain fine so I already put them on one a day. Will wean by 12 weeks.

Pretty sure DD1 is allergic to shellfish. She ate lobster Saturday and Sunday she got hives. Which then turned into a rash, which is finally going away. Guess we're going to get her tested for that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure DD1 is allergic to shellfish
Oh - that just stinks! Good idea to have her tested.

A few years back DH broke out in hives and a rash after a weekend glut of eating seafood. He got tested later and he had NO seafood allergy... very strange. We're thinking it might have been the iodine in seafood because we know he's allergic to IVP dye (which is used for a lot of medical testing). So, his was not a true shellfish allergy. He now eats seafood again - but if he eats a LOT of it he will get itchy. Weird!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting! My DH has nut allergies, but to ones that are easy to avoid. Shellfish are pretty easy to avoid too!

Mimosa and Bellini didn't lose production this weekend. Good job babies! Now you can go, lol.