NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate when people ask what my bottom dollar is. I am not a used car salesman.

It can be annoying BUT it is part of sales. I used to raise & sell mini horses. Prices were high then and you really had to know your lineages, conformation, etc. When I sold it was with the knowing that I would be there to answer questions, provide documents (registration in hand, vetting, background, all stock DNA tested, etc) and CARE about my animals. Because I had excellent stock, good rep, etc., most had no issue with the prices. My animals were good and they were healthy.

BUT....one came and looked. Bought elsewhere, less $$ but, sick animals!! She then called ME for help...:th Talk about a pair of balls, she had them! So I explained about "you get what you pay for" and gave her the name of 3 vets.

It's just sales. Sad but true.

I love your Goldens but I see the ear tags & hate those. Back in the day that is what was used for registered goats. So many torn I[ ears!! Boers allowed chips & tattoo vice tags. GREAT! LOL I still have a couple of the chips to insert. I also have a couple hundred ear tags! :he

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate them too. She's a darn rule follower! I wish she hadn't put them in. They say right on them it's illegal to take them off... Whatever, if I can get them off I will. They aren't registered for lack of attention to paperwork on the part of the dam's previous owner, so they technically need tags for interstate transport.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
UGH! I hate them too. I have traveled across state lines with goats more times than I can count. I think our law is that they have ear tags OR a tattoo. I have NEVER been stopped or directed off for inspection at a state line. I've never had an official at a show (like a STATE fair) ever inspect a tattoo. And, the only time I've ever had a tattoo inspected was when we took a major win at a show.... Ear tags are waaaaaay outdated, heck- even tattoo's are outdated now. It's all about the chips.

Ya know....sometimes those ear tags just fall right out...:hu LOL!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How did lamancha people do ear tags anyway?

Yeah my mini alpines all have tattoos, except the wethers. Not that you can see Clifford's! But since these girls aren't registered, I guess she thought they needed tags. They won't leave our farm, so their tags can fall out lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Made some lavender soap today.... Hoping for the best! It acted wonky but it's firming up nicely in the molds so... Hope it worked. I haven't made it for two years!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a lot easier than one would think. Until you want to make it fancy or pretty! But I don't need fancy just for us.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yes...ear tags can be cut off, carefully. They may have a hole but, at their age, it may well grow back in. What happens is they catch it on something, panic, pull and wham! Ripped ear. Not pretty.

I love my soaps that I make. Excellent cleaning, great lather and leave skin nice. NH is right, not as hard as you think. A batch lasts a long time. You can get most of your oils in a good super market now...notice "most". Cocoa butter, some palm oils, the lye, etc., you generally need to order on line. If I used essential oils --there is the expensive stuff! -- on line.

Next week or two I will need to separate & wean most of these kids. Trying to plan for a slack work week to do as that means milking. Couple does are not real happy with the program (great moms!) but will be milked! Couple will need some hobbles for a few times....o_O It seems the shorter ones are the most active with the legs. Only 2 of those -- mini Nubians -- and both give me a fairly high butterfat from the Nigi genetics. I've never milked them consistently since buying them but, this year they will need to contribute to the cream and cheese. I bought that equipment and I AM GOING TO USE IT! So they will need to get used to it. Hobbles & feed on the stand will make them agreeable. :D Only 5 in milk.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Five? Yeah that's a lot! I have two and will have the same next year. In two years I'll have four. That's probably my limit. Hay prices are obnoxious!

Latest posts