NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot and am really thinking I need to change how we're feeding here. The pigs eating primarily grass and hay is a good start. I want to go as organic as possible. The poultry is the biggest issue expense wise, so getting rid of the turkeys might be a good time to do it.

Off to research and crunch numbers...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Organic feed is extremely cost prohibitive here. I want to get my critter numbers low enough that my pasture can mostly sustain them. I really need to move out the mini-horses - they are major grass consumers. Grrrrr...so much to do.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just found a dairy feed that's a tolerable price. Alfalfa pellets aren't too horrid. Organic chicken feed is crazy though. Looking at all options including sprouting, fermenting (not for goats), or anything I haven't thought of! Also looking for farmers with barley, oats or anything I can make my own feed mix with. Just seeing what's out there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes - organic chicken feed is mucho crazy! I've tried sprouting and fermenting and it's all good - just too time consuming for me and too hot this time of year. Fermented feed will mold in a half day here and the sprouts don't do well in our heat either. But, I'll bet your climate is better for both!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I imagine it is! I know a guy who sprouts for his AGH... Gotta go read his directions again ...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We go to TSC for their all purpose pellets and sheep mineral for the sheep. We go to a feed store in Lindale for chicken feed and dog food. Sometimes we get the dog food at Atwoods in Tyler if we're going there because it is a dollar or two cheaper. We go to Sulphur Springs (45 minutes away) for horse feed, which we also give to the pigs. I have used this horse feed for years, have 2 seniors and I'm not about to switch. Plus, it is $8.10 a 50# bag and that is why I feed it to the pigs too, can't buy pig feed that cheap. Why can't ONE feed store have all that I want?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Organic feed is off the charts. It is double and triple the price of regular feed. I would love to "grass feed" but we are still trying to get pasture to grow. Those of you that have established pasture are blessed!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have established weeds lol! But, I do have pretty good Bermuda that comes in when it's not a hunnert degrees outside and has too many mouths chewing on it. Gonna work on remedying that situation...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stupid phone. I replied and it disappeared. Anyway, pasture, no. Brush, weeds, trees? Yup. Goats are better for my land, good thing I love them!