NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No word on the pig yet...

Bellini is not a fan of being milked, however. She is one kicky goat!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a kicky one....they are just trying to get you away as you are NOT her kid! It's natural. Have as set of Velcro hobbles on order because I know I will need them. :D One I have milked & her objections last about a week, then she accepts it -- food makes her decide, I'm sure! :lol: It's more a forward knock you off action, then a stomp and move it all around. Sides on the stand help, forms a chute. I like a wall on one side, slats on my side, I've even put my head into their side on occasion. :idunno

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A week? Ha! It's been well over a month. She's a 3 year old FF that was wild as they come, has separation anxiety if she and her sister are separated and had hardly been handled. She now accepts petting and jumps on the stand willingly. I have a machine so it's not so bad. She's doing pretty well, I'd say!

I think I might bring Gidget the GG to the vet for a check/goat handler information session. I have a vet that is a dairy goat breeder so I would love to educate myself a bit. I'd like to have a fecal run just because they're new to me, though FAMACHA is perfect. She also either is in dire need of a hoof trimming or a Bo Se shot. I think it's just her hooves judging by the way they're growing in (and that she already had Bo Se), but she looks to have weak pasterns. It would help us to get a trimming lesson though too, since we taught ourselves and probably aren't very good at it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hopefully, eventually, she'll look at milking as a relief instead of a burden!

Probably a good plan to see the vet. Never hurts to get another opinion and sometimes a new perspective on things.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think she'll be better when her kids go away. I have nowhere to put them, well the girls anyway, so who knows how long that'll be! I'm sick of sharing my milk! Lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is cool with it until we actually touch her, lol. She'll get over it. Actually she's better than Patty. DH said he'd much rather eat goat stew than try to help me milk Patty again, ever, lol.

This week we need to trim everyone's hooves, work on goat fencing (Clifford and the girls) and hopefully butcher the tom and the roo. And get rid of the turkey hens. Oy.. I'm tired already!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bellini was well behaved this morning! She must have known we were tired and needed a break lol

Oh my gosh, the new gilt is so stinking cute! She's only 9 months old so she's still kinda little. She peed in my car though. Grrr DH promised to pay to have it detailed. It's a Lexus man... It shouldn't have pig pee in it. Really!

Hot today, thunderstorms expected later. Ugh.