NH Homesteader's journal

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Right!

It's hard to sell 'em when they don't go to the ideal home. :( But, sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do... Or hope somebody else comes along real quick!

I'm only milking ONE goat now and I'm wondering if I can milk her through. I need to space my kids out better so I can milk one until I need a break and dry her up - but have a doe with kids waiting to fill that space when I'm ready to start milking again.

I had to do that with my rabbits two years ago. When I left, they were too much for everyone to care for and I wasn't raising any for meat while I was a at school. So, I gave them away to some folks who probably didn't care for them like I would BUT they needed to go. The only thing I miss about them is the manure. Other than that, I would have rather dealt with anything else than rabbits.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's where I'm at, they kinda need to go! And I need to save up to buy $1500 worth of pellets for winter and probably $800+ of hay.... So not that it's a lot of money but, I could use the money!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol right? I've decided not to bother registering any of the goats, I never recuperate my money. I'll just eat them next year, lol.

I think our farm is inching towards being hog-centered. Waiting for their papers now actually. The guy we got the pigs from can sell piglets for us, we said we'd give him a commission for any he sells. Registered breeding stock goes for $250 around here. Feeder piglets $100. Stanley is a descendant of the Beardsley Zoo (in CT) AGH breeding program. Desirable piggies.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are a farmer. You can't always find the perfect home for animals. Reality is that people buy goats and sheep to eat. They buy them to resell. They buy them for many reasons. They can't all be pets. If you are going to sell them to be slaughtered, do you keep one or two for your freezer? And like you said, selling them will give you needed money to buy hay and feed for the ones you want to keep.

Beardsley Zoo breeding program? Somehow I see shipping FEM a piggy trio in the future......as she sends one to you. swapping bloodlines will make both of your pigs more desirable.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, mine are not registered and NHH's are. I might make the switch someday, but for now I'm ok with mine.

Those are good prices for piglets!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bay. This guy sells to slaughter and pet homes, if it is who I think it is. We are keeping 2 wethers for the freezer. I don't have a place to put the girls to wean them (unless they stay in the barn all day, and that's just rude!) without them being in with my buck, unless I build a new pen for them and I have enough fencing to do! So the girls go, the boys go in with Clifford. He's OK with the babies, thankfully.

Patty's buckling is huge. I have a hard time picking him up! Also, he is the victim of a botched disbudding. He has one horn. That's all good except he's learned how to use that horn and his weight to push the other babies around. Clifford should cure that. If not, summer goat BBQ! LOL!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well the three kids are gone. I even talked the guy up on price. Which is good, because I am bringing Lucy to the vet tomorrow. Gidget had suspected coccidia and was treated before I got her, and Lucy just popped up with scours. So since I live so far from my vet and they won't prescribe without seeing her, I'm bringing her down. I haven't changed their feed, they are on dry lot... And I'm being extra careful because they're GG's lol!