NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's OK, I hardly remember lol. They're 12 weeks. Will be weaned as soon as they're done with meds, nice to mix meds in their bottles! How old is Conan?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conan is pushing 5 months old in just a couple days. Time sure flies when you're having this much fun!

Did you see a buck when you were picking up the girls? I was wondering how big a GG buck gets?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah he was maybe... 200? I'm bad at weights. Their dam is 150, she's a little over height but whatever!

Wow 5 months! Clifford is over a year now, he's lookin' good! Pic won't upload, grrr

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you see a buck when you were picking up the girls? I was wondering how big a GG buck gets?

You have room. :lol: :cool:

I think GGs are full sized goats, right? I would say the size of an Alpine. Maybe? I don't think they get as heavy as the old style nubs...…..but NH has researched, so should give us correction.

Conan & Snowman (my Saanen) are within days of each other. My guy will get taller but, stay thinner. BOTH will be "stinkers" in the Fall! Rut is so aromatic.

I'm like NH -- I believe I may just turn the buck in with the does and let it happen. Most will cycle close, especially with a buck in there. I can let Snowman in with a group about Aug/Sept, put the ones for Mr. B with him, pen the 5 new girls up-- then, -breed them later, about Jan/Feb.

Sounds like a plan! :caf Sounds like I will need to be home a lot after New years. :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm only breeding two this year! I'll put them with Clifford in mid September probably.

GG's are full size but they're smaller than a lot of the alpines I've seen. Depends on the line with alpines it seems like. Patty's mom (alpine) is huge! GG's, I believe, are supposed to be slightly smaller than the other full size breeds. But they're all over the place and there's all kinds of arguments about British Guernsey standards vs. Golden Guernsey standards and now the ADGA is trying to get a GG herd book, but their standards are probably going to be different.... Getting new breeds established is a mess!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At the moment I'm down to... 8! Will be down to 6 by winter.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bet! My end goal is 4 breeders and butcher the babies every year. I'm downsizing from a small herd to a smaller one! Lol! At least until the human kids are older. I'm really tired, I love goats but I love them more when there are less of them and I'm not burnt out. The pigs are just so much easier, I'll have more of them, lol!