NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to say that since building my Pig Palace, it is SO easy to feed and water the feeder pigs. They are hardly any work at all. They used to be labor intensive, why didn't I build a Pig Palace sooner?

My sheep are pretty low-labor as well. Not milking has it's rewards. I am just not committed enough to milk goats or a cow. Maybe someday....if I milked like FEM does.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs are super easy! Goats aren't, lol. Mimosa is not producing well at all! She was only milked briefly as a FF. Wonder if it's true that hinders length of future lactations. Seems like it might... Might get down to 5 this fall! She's a brutal herd queen so I won't shed a tear if she leaves.

Trimmed Patty and Bellini's hooves tonight. Will do Mimosa and the babies tomorrow night. Will do Clifford when he doesn't stink so bad. Or but... That'll mean we never trim them!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH's friend was going to take the turkey hens but he's slow so I posted them on CL last night. They're going tomorrow! Yay, we'll take apart the hoop coop and use the cattle panels for goats.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - that was fast! Good deal on moving 'em on outta there!

Conan has been stinking for awhile now. But, when I walked into the other buck pen this morning I got a whiff of 'eau de buck.' It's too early!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They don't sound very bright though... So I won't count them as sold until I watch them drive away!

Patty's buckling lost his voice. He is being weaned and he likes to inform us of his displeasure. LOUDLY! So I'm milking Patty a bit to keep her from being engorged and she does OK on the stand now. Well, once there's a bucket under her to hold her up anyway! Lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - I've resorted to putting a bucket under one of mine too, lol.

Poor little critter - but sometimes its kinda nice when they lose their voice...I guess I'm mean....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The first time I milked her she nearly killed herself thrashing. A little squatting, heck I might actually milk her for real in the future if I can get her back up to fighting weight!

I was just making my coffee, half asleep, and looked out the back window to see if the pigs were awake. They were sleeping, but there was a big white tailed doe standing in the pig fence, staring at me! She walked around for a minute, got zapped by the electric fence (boy she jumped!) and then apparently figured out she's taller than a pig and stepped over the fence,lol. She was a beautiful, big girl. I was happy to see her! Wish DD1 had seen her.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was just making my coffee, half asleep, and looked out the back window to see if the pigs were awake. They were sleeping, but there was a big white tailed doe standing in the pig fence, staring at me! She walked around for a minute, got zapped by the electric fence (boy she jumped!) and then apparently figured out she's taller than a pig and stepped over the fence,lol. She was a beautiful, big girl. I was happy to see her! Wish DD1 had seen her.
That's something lovely to wake up to :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a small herd living in the woods way back and they come out with the young each year. The farmer has corn planted directly next to me. It gets tall & blocks the view of the animals but, will be nice to scrounge after harvest. Last time his equipment was so good!!! Hardly an ear missed :(:(
May get lucky and get a lot of rain just before he picks, then the low corner won't get harvested. :cool: Except by me :D