NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We pulled out the two pork shoulders from a pig we butchered to smoke and bring to DH's boss' wedding this weekend. That made a lot of space! It should be way more than enough so we'll probably keep some here for ourselves. I need to figure out exactly what's in there, or one of these days I'll be awfully upset when I go to make pork chops and they're all gone!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is working on the smoker now. His boss was like yeah, I don't need you to work, I need help getting ready for this wedding! Lol so he'll be smoking pork and setting up tents all day.

I am so frustrated with my goats. Mostly Mimosa, she's milking pitiful amounts and still pigging out on grain and hay. Bellini is doing OK still. I can't wait to have my GG's grow up! I'm done with mini goats, they're just as much work with tiny teats and way less milk. Never thought I'd say that!

It's going to be super hot this weekend and most of next week. All I plan to do is get my tomato plants supported and finish tearing apart the turkey hoop coop. And go swimming at my parents' house!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is super hot here too. We go out early in the mornings, work until 11 or sometimes 1:00 then quit for the day. Sometimes I go back out in the evening, but by then, the sun has been baking all day, so it is still hot.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
with mini goats, they're just as much work with tiny teats and way less milk

YES, YES, YES !! :lol: They are so cute BUT from a practical standpoint, just too much effort. My hands don't fit those tiny tits and I do not have large hands. They are too close to the ground, I like some room to work under there....and I am not fighting one for a dang cup of milk. I will agree some are better trained to milk and give a decent amount. So do my Saanens and Nubians.

Although I did have one lay down tonight to stop me from milking her :eek: She's just learning and was not on a stand with feed. My bad. She was not in the mood. Tomorrow we will work it differently. :old She does have some smallish teats and that makes it difficult to get a rhythm.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I always figured full size goats eat too much... But they give twice as much milk! I only need 2 full size goats for my family, as opposed to 4 minis. And I hate selling kids, so 2 goats will provide babies for meat for us without extras I have to sell.

Bellini's buckling can jump a 4 foot fence. That's helpful. He figured it out yesterday so he's in the extra stall in the barn for the moment! Sheesh goat!

Headed to boss man's wedding today, we'll make an appearance and leave shortly after. Then we're headed to the FIL's lake house for the rest of the afternoon. DD1 wants to go fishing.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bellini's buckling also can apparently escape the barn. He was out grazing when we got home. Ugh!

The heat is giving me a migraine. Done with the wedding, pork was awesome! Got home, watered everyone again and filled the wallows with water for the pigs. Gotta go see the FIL, but I'd so rather stay home!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That little stinker! I am over animals that don't stay where they're supposed to be! UGH.

My pigs seem to make their wallow bigger every day...if they don't stop they'll have it inside their stall - yuck.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spray a hole for my pigs every day, but it is pure sand. The best they get is damp sand.

Escape artist goats is precisely why I decided on sheep. They are so easy, but no milk.