NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My guess is August but we got them and she had been with him a while. She isn't that big yet but she's got some belly going on.
I always tried to watch the boobies for fill. My original two girls are tame enough that I could squeeze 'em and look for milk--that'd give me a few days notice. I'm excited for you to get some babies - they're so stinkin' cute!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah she's nowhere near that close, but I was told to look for the milk line about a week ahead. Probably won't be squeezing them though, lol!

Shopping done, place was a mad house. Almost got run off the road by a jerk in a BMW on the way there and the cashier was rude (apparently my coupons were confusing to him and how dare I try to use them when they're busy). Happy to be home.I like my animals better than most people!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we're switching to once a day milking. I'm so tired. And baby is not a fan of not having my attention (unless we're outside) so I've not been doing as much with the milk as I would like. And DH is great at helping with chores but doesn't help with the kids very much. So... Yeah. But I have a ton of milk frozen already! Enough for 25 batches of soap (that's a lot of soap!) and I don't even know how much for cheese making!

DD1 read 4 chapter books today. Library days she hardly talks, too busy reading!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Unhappy cashiers are no fun! I try to not let them bother me but usually they do manage to get under my skin.

I need to get to the library tomorrow. Dh is out of books on CD and I'm in the mood for a good mystery. What do you get at the library?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we're switching to once a day milking.
Probably not a bad idea at all! It actually makes it more enjoyable instead of a twice a day "chore." I'm kinda dreading adding another goat to my list but I DON'T have much milk in the freezer, so this will help.

Go DD!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish I had time to read! We go for my 5 year old! I have a degree in English literature so I have a hard time reading for fun anyway. I usually stick to nonfiction unless I have the brain space for psychoanalyzing literature (I have a 6 month old so lately that's... Never... Lol!)

FEM I do feel like milking has been a chore, so hopefully this will help. We're dropping the evening milking, which is hard to get in after dinner and before bedtime routines. Especially when DH doesn't help with bedtime routines... I mean... I didn't say anything.... Lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Walmart has a grocery shopping app. You order online, on your phone. My daughter does this all the time now and loves it. With 2 little girls, shopping is stressful. They set a time for pick up and she calls or texts to confirm that she is on the way. The app watches her car approach and they are out there waiting on her with her groceries. Walmart does not do this in Lindale, but they do in Tyler. She picks up groceries on her way home from work. Being off for the summer, now she will drive to Tyler, still saves time and a LOT easier. You might want to check if your local Walmart does this.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure they don't, I'm lucky to have a Walmart where we live! I actually enjoy shopping, just not rude cashiers. That must be nice for your daughter, she's got to be busy working and with the kids!

Today we milked after not milking last night and everyone ran out when it was their turn and jumped on the stand. What a difference, no one was over full but they were all ready apparently! I've been chasing goats to get them on the stand. Maybe they're over that now. Right, lol...