NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I find that the jumpers are not as enthused with that once they are bred and have the udder "in the way". That has stopped a couple for me. The best jumper yet will be bred this year!! Can't wait.

Monday I want to pull the 4 bucklings to wean. Of course, the weather is scorching! It's like your temps there...….94 + every day. Was only 90 today...…STILL too hot. I'll spend a lot of time dumping & refilling water tubs next week. That stuff gets very warm. I need to clean inside the house, guess this will be the time. At least there's a/c.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My GG's shouldn't be as bad as the minis about escaping. The lady had hers in a pen that my minis would have gotten right out of.

Yep refilling water a million times. It'll be a full time job!

Between this
Screenshot_2018-07-01-09-30-22-1.png

And this...
Screenshot_2018-07-01-09-29-06-1.png

I'm dying!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sucks for ya'll! We're getting it here ...high of 97 forecast for today with heat indices in the triple digits...shoot me now.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think our heat index is supposed to be 100. It's humid and nasty out already! So gross! So we're puttering inside and doing farm planning (fencing, feeders, etc). It's hotter here than it is in Orlando Florida. Stupid!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We sit up high, at 610 feet elevation. The highest point in the county is 671 feet, just a few miles from us. There is almost always a breeze blowing. Even in the worst heat, in the shade with a breeze it is still hot, but bearable.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The heat continues... And humidity. We have air quality warnings, I can feel it. I feel like my only job this week is watering lol. Friday it'll be over. Just a few more days...

I quit trying to keep Bellini's buckling where I put him. She isn't letting him nurse so he can stay with her. DH was going to run electric and I said there's no point, save yourself the effort. We have other stuff to do!

We have the other pork shoulder to smoke, DH will do that tomorrow. We'll bring pulled pork to my parents for the 4th and watch fireworks from their deck. Then we'll freeze most of it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BBQ brought to me sounds good! Your parents will enjoy it.:)

Heat here, too. But I must, must, must get out there & get some things done. Been out, back in, gotta get diesel for the tractor, some feed, etc. then work on some of my list. MUST!

Keep that baby cool! DD1 can walk in, DD2 not. Hey, good reason for you to stay inside....:lol: I know when I should be in but feel guilty later in day when not much got done.:idunno

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We go out in the morning and evening. I go out and water alone when baby naps in the middle of the day. I'm neurotic about heat!

Bay is 610 high elevation for there? The center of my town is 945, and we're higher. I can't use Google maps on my phone so not sure how high exactly.

I'm. Having one of those days again where I think we're all crazy people for all this self sufficiency nonsense. I'm sure it'll pass along with the heat!