NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh the mama bear is furious. So my mom went with us to the ER yesterday cause, well, she's calmer than my DH lol. Anyway, today she tells me that while I was talking to the doctor, the nurse said to my daughter, "you're homeschooled? Don't you want to go to school? Don't you want to have friends?" what??? Who says that to a 5 year old??? Have you ever heard of play dates, homeschool classes, extracurricular activities... Things like 4H? And holy not your place lady. DH wants me to call the hospital to complain. I plan to share my complaint with her pediatrician, who rocks. But, so mad.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Idiot! (The nurse) You'd think someone in her position, doing her job, would know about watch your mouth? Not?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You would think so. Otherwise, she was very good with her. So not impressed. It's actually the first time I've ever felt judged about homeschooling, most people have been accepting and think it's cool.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Homeschooling is great! I spoke to moms that did it and loved it and their kids too. I would consider it, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience and being a single mom, I need the "child free" times to do things I need to do.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw thanks FEM. And, I'm not sure what "child free" is like, lol!! But really, it certainly would be a lot more difficult to homeschool without the other half.

So tired today. I could use a nap. Instead, I'm going for an extra cup of coffee. Got a fair amount of cleaning and laundry done, now I've lost my motivation.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So my children were REQUIRED to attend a certified school when growing up. No home schooling. Therefore, I have little to no info as to what is required of the parent to certify and/or what do they do to "test" the children. BUT - lately we have had a whole lot of advertisement for K12.com/VA, which is a site for enrolling/signing up your children for at home public school via computer. Free.

I am just wondering, is this available in other locales?

Of course I went to the site to investigate but, without signing up & in, little real info to review. I would think they have a set curriculum and that could be constraining for those who are ahead, those behind, etc. Still a good idea for many who have transport, schedule constraints, and/or other such issues for letting children attend local school.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think most states have virtual charter schools now. They're great! I still like homeschool better. DS11 does not fit in to the USA educational mold.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have an online charter, I may use it for high school math, but that's about it. Also they work with a university to offer dual credit courses so maybe we'll check into that eventually. In NH we need to either do annual testing or an annual portfolio which must be reviewed by a certified teacher. But the results do not have to be turned in. I am getting my teacher cert back so I can evaluate my kids and my friends kids!

Just checked eyelids and now I smell like Clifford. Ewww. Lucy and Gidget are only 3" shorter than Patty lol. Patty is putting on weight now that she's dry. Yay! We let the gilt in with Clifford and they totally ignored each other. He's not eating the weeds in his pen, he needs backup! Lol!