NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can skip the CCX bland breast meat....but them wings.... :drool DD and her family can have the breast meat. And I do like to can old laying hens and make broth. So chicken raising is still in my future.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We'll still butcher occasional cockerels but no more meaties. The BIL loves hunting but doesn't like venison, so that'll help fill the freezer!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whoever thought putting DD1's birthday, DH's birthday, Halloween and a time change in the same week was just not my biggest fan apparently. Epic 6 year old meltdowns today. Ughhhhh.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Any who have chickens, chicks, most often have excess roos. Whether we give away or harvest -- our option. While it isn't a fun job, it IS food for us or our dogs/cats, etc. Some are lucky enough to get someone else to do the butcher after they raise, then split the results. Ok by me. LOL.

Goat, lamb, pork pretty quick to raise to butcher size. I am in the "send it to butcher" phase now. I have no help for these things normally, so either find help or pay. :( May be very hard to realize --- BUT, many people do NOT want to do those things any more. :hu :lol: We are all so accustomed to doing or talking about it, it's like shucking corn...a chore you do.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH keeps trying to teach people how to bucher pigs. They're like no.... I'll pay you or bring it somewhere thanks lol. He keeps trying though!

Just voted, back home and waiting for FIL and the mobile home guy.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang it I know how to spell but my phone makes up words. I know how to spell butcher, really lol.

Yep FIL was heading our direction at 1 so should be here in 15 minutes or so.

It's pouring. Again. Everything is a mud pit. Ugh.