NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree! But hopefully an idiot that can work fast! Is this the same idiot who wasn't planning on starting until Monday?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like snow until February, by then I'm over it! Ok sometimes it's sooner than that, lol. As soon as we are in our new house I will welcome the snow. We're even getting our generator hooked up so it'll be automatic when the power goes out and power the whole house. That will solve many of my complaints! Now I just need water over at the barn, maybe that'll be a summer project! Hmm....

Before it gets too cold we have to butcher 2 goats, 3 (well 2 1/2?) Pigs, and 2 roosters. I say 2 1/2 because one is going to be a roaster for a friend so we don't have to cut it up . Oh and hopefully a deer. It's rifle season after all!

Curious do you all smoke and salt cure your porkers?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, I hope the idiot gets the job done quickly for you guys!

Btw, I love your new avatar pic!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Huh I tried to cancel changing my pic, apparently it did it anyway lol.

He's planning on pouring Monday, he says. It should not take him this long. DH and his friend could do this much faster! Oh well. FIL is paying the difference so if he wants to throw money away, whatever.

We haven't done bacon in a while, I have a ton waiting! We don't do ham, we aren't fans. And we don't use curing salt.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love the video!

I have prospective bacon in the freezer that I need to get out and cure also. I should have time over the winter break.

Hopefully FIL won't have to pay for extra time....we need this done like yesterday!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dude is working. Showed up with a worker today that he didn't know well. DH recognized him. From the sex offender registry (we check it fairly frequently). He kicked him off our property, and informed the boss why. He agreed and apologized, he had been recommended as a laborer and he had no idea. The guy left, looped around and drove by to see if DH was still there. He just went home to feed animals, and asked his friend to drive by later and make sure he's not back, if he comes back the police will pay him a visit for trespassing. Or we'll feed him to the pigs. Not sure which. Sheesh! But at least work is happening.

Hoping to do some butchering soon. Can't wait to have the house settled, extra critters in the freezer, look at seed catalogs and restart schooling with DD1. I'm so glad to only have one kidding this year (assuming Patty took).