NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goat is cut up, DH is cooking up a few pieces for a taste test...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We prefer to let it hang a few days, but at least 24 hours. He has used a bunch of different guns, this time he used a .38 and it went really well (quickly, successful first shots).

I can't bring myself to eat the goat meat tonight, but DH said it was good, like non-gamey venison. He liked it better than the lamb we had, though we tried lamb from a fine wool breed, which tends to be gamier.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but DH said it was good, like non-gamey venison.
Oh - that's a perfect way to describe the taste! To me it's a very rich, deep, full-flavored meat...almost sweet - but not really...? So, to compare it to non-gamey venison is almost perfect. Dang, I need to eat me some goat, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't wait for you to try him. I have an issue though when I butcher something...I don't want to eat it very soon. I need to put it in the freezer and 'forget' who it used to be before I chow down on it, lol.
I don't have that problem. I have been known to write their name on the package. :gig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apparently my husband is with you. I just found a package labeled "Charlie " lol.

I've got to get my hands on some hair sheep meat. I'm torn between kikos and a couple katahdin ewes. The katahdins could hang with my shetlands, if we like the meat as much as he likes goat I would rather keep more sheep. Plus they're about half the price of kikos lol. I have a couple of years before I'll be ready for anything new, just thinking now :)

Gross weather today, I was supposed to go shopping but that can wait. Icy roads are no good!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to try some. Perhaps if I cooked some, and hubby liked it, he'd see the benefit of having a goat or two around: to eat all the brambles, poison ivy, then turn th

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hydroponics trial run #1
20190208_093828.jpg

Notice the snow outside? Loving this!