NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a baby goat! Yes, a single. And, of course, a single buck. Ughhh. He's been named Lucky. Cause he's darn lucky he didn't have a sister, or he'd be sausage! Lol. He's dry, Patty is passing the placenta, and I ran in quickly to deal with human children and am now headed out to make sure he finds a teat. I can't believe she had a single after having twins last year!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo - Congrats! Go Patty!! And of course - a boy. :rolleyes: He really IS lucky...for now? Will he be made into sausage later? Are you gonna keep Patty around? I know you're not milking but she's a sweetie and wants to live with you forever, lol! I just love wittle goats! :lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on the little one! Sorry it's a boy and a single, but congrats anyway :) Any chance of a pic?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol DH wants me to keep Patty. So since she and the sheep don't always love each other, I will also keep Lucky. Which means I'm going to be taking a trip to the vet to have him disbudded.

We have a ton of brush we need cleared so they have a job! Sorry for the bad pic, it's all I could do at the moment!
20190212_150731.jpg

He's drinking away now! Little waggy tail, so cute!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's cold, 19 degrees. But the barn feels much warmer, and the heat lamp is on.

I didn't go down to see the pigs today, but Charlotte looks big. DH went down to give them hay and she was harassing him for attention.

We've lost our sense. Keeping a pet wether, and if Charlotte doesn't farrow we're keeping her as a pet/farm mascot lol!

It's snowing now... ugh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cannot imagine having baby/ies in that weather! It was cold when Lucy delivered - but nowhere 19! I'm always amazed that as long as they get dried off and nurse - they usually withstand the temps pretty well. But, a heat lamp is cheap insurance!