NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have np idea, I'll ask my DH . Amazing how fast they're growing!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the time of year I start dying for a vacation somewhere warm... DH loves winter but I am done. Potential for a big storm this week too :(

We are considering getting a bigger hydro set up from a hydro shop near us. We really really like it! With our long winters, it could be really great for us to grow a bunch of food inside.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain! Even with our "mild" winters I'm over it... Might mostly be the mud - but it stinks. Literally! And our springs are usually wet too...there's just no winning! Ugh.

Hope you can score a bigger hydro set up - that would really be cool. A while back I wondered if I enclosed my back porch with heavy plastic through the winter and put some lights out there if I could have a semi-sorta greenhouse. I might need to do more than just ponder it... :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Consider what components are needed for a hydroponic set up. Depending on your style: submersible pump and/or air pump and air stones. Container for your growing medium. Nutrient reservoir. If doing the simple air/bubbler method, the Nutrient reservoir has net pots with growing medium set into the top of the reservoir. Do a bit of on line reading, and you will save AT LEAST 50% by doing it yourself. If you scavenge for your containers, your set up costs will be minimal. You'll need to do the research ANYWAYS if doing a HP set up. So... DIY seems like win/win situation.